Ford Explorer This long running SUV has stood tough against the barrage of new entries into the mid sized SUV market, and with a variety of engine sizes and trim lines, the Exploder offers something for everyone.

Vehicle Speed Sensor

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2012, 11:31 PM
Default Vehicle Speed Sensor

Can anyone please help me with this problem? Ok I have a 1996 6cyc explorer xlt 4 door auto When I got the suv I was told the tranny slipped even though it had just been rebuilt last year. The speedo needle floats back and forth at about a 20 mph difference. The check engine light was also on. Once I pulled the check engine code it was the Vehicle Speed Sensor the one in the transfer case. Once I replaced it instanty the thing shifted like new smooth as could be and it also fixed the speedo needle from floating around. It had a little slop in the needle but only by about 5 mph difference. The thing ran great for two days. After two days it slipped a couple times in low gear. The speedo needle randomly started flopping around again. On the highway it felt like it waent shifting into its last gear. At 55 or 60 mph the thing was at around 4 grand and sounded like it needed to shift one more time. Sounded like if I went any faster it was going to blow up then the next day it went back to shifting like it did when I bought it but it was not throwing a code for the vss. - took out the vss brought it back got another made sure it was seated in transfer case correctly fired it up and it was fixed again 2 or 3 days later its back. Lol anyone have any ideas? When I waS buying the vss I saw on the pc at the parts place there are 3 or 4 different speed sensors in the truck in different locations should I Replace them all? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 10-15-2012, 11:15 AM

It sounds like the person/place that did the rebuilt didn't do a good job or they only replaced the clutches and clutch plates. A tranny works mainly off of pressure to shift. One thing you could check or change is the range sensor on the tranny which is also known as the netual safety switch. (some ppl call it the gear selector since that it what it does and the shift cable from inside connects to it) Its fairly simple to replace but requires a fluid change since you need to open the tranny pan up to replace it. Also must have car on jacks because it needs to be replaced in neutral. The only problem I had with a vss (the rear) is that it set my abs light off from not working. If that don't do it, I don't know where your from but the guy that did mine and I send everyone to (in NE PA) will gladly tell you what else to look for. This guy can rebuild them in his sleep, and tell you how to take it out without even seeing the car, just by knowing what its coming out of. Hell he had mine out rebuilt and reinstalled in 2 days and its only him and a helper.