Ford F-150 The entry level full size truck from Ford, one of America's best selling for decades.

4spd or 5spd? TBI to Propane Conversion?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2005, 10:20 PM
Default 4spd or 5spd? TBI to Propane Conversion?

Couple of questions on this one really- I'm getting tired of my sedan (Saab) and want to get a truck, however I am going to be driving on the interstate a lot due to college and want to not have to pay a lot more for gas. I have heard that a lot of fleets convert to propane to reduce costs, so I was wondering about this. How effective is this conversion? As to fuel economy, what differance does a 5 speed make over a 4 speed? Should the 5 speed be worth it, how difficult is it to convert the fuel injected engine that comes with the 5 speed to a carberator? Ford did use TBI on it's early fuel injected engines right? if it is any help, I live in Montana, so emissions is not a problem. Just in the planning stages right now.

Old 05-11-2005, 11:51 AM
Default RE: 4spd or 5spd? TBI to Propane Conversion?

Propane is the best fuel you can burn in a motor 60% cleaner which means less use of oil and longer life motor. There are kits out there to change to a carb but why???? It’s easier to change a fuel injection system over to a LP system. 5 speeds will give you a slightly better mileages. I would look for a 4 speed overdrive. The only thing I can say about LP is the HP will reduce a little so don't expect the power from gasoline to be there when you install LP.

Old 05-11-2005, 10:43 PM

ORIGINAL: skip

There are kits out there to change to a carb but why???? It’s easier to change a fuel injection system over to a LP system.
Where are these kits avalable? How much do they cost? I have looked into this before, but the cost ($2000) was to much. I was looking to get an Impco Propane carb and conversion kit off Ebay for $100-150. Cost is my limiting factor.

5 speeds will give you a slightly better mileages. I would look for a 4 speed overdrive.
Where would I find that as opposed to a regular five speed? Aren't most five speeds actually a four speed with an overdrive as the fifth gear is a higher gear than one to one (about .69 to one)?

The only thing I can say about LP is the HP will reduce a little so don't expect the power from gasoline to be there when you install LP.
I have read quite a few reviews of propane conversions that claimed higher HPs. What is with that? Are there a couple ways of doing this that work better than others?

Old 05-12-2005, 12:57 PM

Check out this site http://www.joypropane.com/products.htm. The claim that I hear is on some vehicles you get increased HP. I’ve ridden or drove about 100 different LP cars/trucks (I ran fleet services for a municipality) and none had increased power (usually noticeablely slightly less). As far as cost you get what you pay for. I had another site that had some do it yourself kits I’ll find it and post it. Finally on the transmissions there is a big difference between a 5 speed and a 4 with overdrive. As you stated in the 5 speed the 5th gear will be in closer ratio to the 4th gear but in the 4 speed over drive the over dive will be greater. Look in junk yards for the tranny you want. Also you can add a Ranger torx splitter to just about any common tranny or put just about any brand transmission to any brand motor (check out advanced adaptors). i have a FJ40 with a 91 corvett 350 mated to a sm420 dumptruck granny 4 speed mated to a ranger torx reducer mated to a toyota transfer case.

Old 05-12-2005, 04:43 PM

Cost is very inportant- how much are these kits?
About how much power would you expect to lose?
How would one go about telling the difference between the fourspeed with overdrive and the five speed?
Ranger torx splitter- where can I get that?

I have a FJ40 with a 91 corvett 350 mated to a sm420 dumptruck granny 4 speed mated to a ranger torx reducer mated to a toyota transfer case.
That is one heck of a mix!! Sounds like a very nice truck though!

Old 05-12-2005, 06:02 PM

NV4500 is the best option I know of for what you’re asking. Check all late model dodge and Chevy standard trans at the junk yards. Very tuff trans look at: http://www.advanceadapters.com/ for the adaptors the also have a lot of good tranny info. The NV4500 comes in 3 different gear ratio (may be more ratios now???) since your now wheeling you want the one with the highest 1st gear passable. Once you go from gas to LP you'll notice the lost but you get use to it (it's not that bad unless your racing or Roding). Tonight I’ll look for the site to the kits and post it tomorrow. Advanced Adaptor also carries the ranger torque splitter. Ya my FJ is tuff not to appealing to the eye but very sound machine.

Old 05-12-2005, 09:18 PM

The NV4500 comes in 3 different gear ratio (may be more ratios now???) since your now wheeling you want the one with the highest 1st gear passable.
you mean higest by number or by ratio?

Once you go from gas to LP you'll notice the lost but you get use to it (it's not that bad unless your racing or Roding).
Currently driving a guttless Saab- almost anything would feel like a topfuel dragster.

as for engines- I have a Dodge 360 sitting in my driveway that we need to get rid of the sheet metal around it- the power would be nice, but is there any chance of making fuel efficency out of it? it is in a 73' van.

Old 05-17-2005, 02:54 PM

Anyone have a cheap way of converting a fuel injected engine for propane or methane?