Ford F-150 The entry level full size truck from Ford, one of America's best selling for decades.

94 6 cyl overheats...open to any sugestions

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2009, 09:31 AM
Default 94 6 cyl overheats...open to any sugestions

ok i have not done anything to the truck except to check the fluid level and i have topped it off...the truck will overheat while its at an idle or low speed...but when you rev the engine it will start to cool the truck off....i have been told this can be many things...bad head gasket,thermostat, radiator cap, or that the radiator might just need flushed...any imput would be greatly appretiated...

Old 11-04-2009, 09:34 PM

i have flushed the radiator several times...and it still overheats...HELP!!!

Old 11-04-2009, 10:56 PM
Super Moderator

Welcome to the site..

When you flushed/drained the radiator, did you take a look at the bars in the radiator tank for restrictive deposits collected on the bars ends? If the core plugs, you'll tend to see deposits on the bar ends.. When the truck is idling, are both the upper and lower hoses relatively even in temp? A restricted radiator or a bad thermo may cause the lower hose to be cooler or cold if the flow is blocked.. Generally with a wide open thermo, and a healthy radiator you'll be able to see a coolant movement and flow in the tank.. Also, on a throttle snap you may see the radiator level drop slightly as the flow rate increases..

The 4.9 didn't have a lot of headgasket issues, and if bad, may cause system over pressure and/or bubbles in the tank.. Also may blow steam out the tail pipe after a sit/start condition as the cooling system pressure backs the coolant into the cylinder/s..

Could be, and sounds more like the fan clutch is dying and not cooling the radiator with an adequate air flow passing through the radiator until the higher RPM's are made..

Old 11-08-2009, 03:41 PM

ok...i tried flushing the radiator a couple of more times...i ran it again and when it overheated i felt the different hoses to see if they varried in temp...the lower was noticably cooler then the upper...so i just took the thermostat out and it ran longer but eventually overheated again...the lower hose still seemed way to different in temp...waterpump?i am going to replace that next weekend ...if that doesnt work then what???