Ford F-150 The entry level full size truck from Ford, one of America's best selling for decades.

F-150 Intermittently Won't Start (HELP!!)

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2024, 01:47 PM
Default F-150 Intermittently Won't Start (HELP!!)

I have a 2011 Ford F150 that is occasionally not starting. I have had it at the dealership multiple times, and they have not been able to identify the problem. I have researched multiple YouTube videos and forums and have not found anything like I have been experiencing. When the ignition is turned to the "ON" position, the gauges operate and power up as they should. Power is present, and the battery is brand new and tests good. Upon turning the key to the "START" position, there is no response. There is no click from the starter like it is trying to initiate, there is no loss of power from the dash controls. It simply will not initiate the start sequence. I have discovered overtime that I can hold it in the start position for a period of 5 to 10 seconds with no response. But on occasion, as I do this timed sequence of holding the Key in the "START" position, it will just all of a sudden start the engine. There is no hesitation in the starting, and the dealership has checked the battery and alternator to ensure that the charging system is working properly. I have gone through and cleaned all the battery terminal connections and verified that all of the relays in the fuse block are in place. I do not think this is associated with the common issue of the wiring bundle in the passenger footboard, because that issue usually indicates no power to the dashboard Instrument panel which I currently have. It seems like a security issue like the key fob is not being seen so I had a new key made and have been using that one, but the problem has not resolved. I had it at the dealership for 11 days and had the service manager taking it home in the hopes that it would generate the same symptoms I experienced since it happens usually in the mornings when it is cold. They informed me it worked fine. I brought it home last night and this morning it did it again. Unreal!!! I took a video of it and sent it to the dealership. Their response was "That's weird"...

Can anyone help point me in the right direction???

Attached Files
File Type: mov
IMG_5158 - Trim.mov (18.30 MB, 39 views)
File Type: mov
IMG_5159 - Trim.mov (19.80 MB, 19 views)
Old 01-31-2024, 06:39 PM

If you are determined to find the possible culprit, this is what I would suggest,

To provide some idea of why I am suggesting the following things to do are because a little understanding on how electrical power can take us for a real ride can help.

You replaced the battery. How did you clean the battery terminals that connect to the battery?
If there is "some" resistance between the battery post and the cable terminal, some things with a light load will seem to work just fine.
The starting system requires a lot of amperage to cause the starter to operate. The solenoid may click but not strong enough to make good contact and allow the starter motor to operate every time. We know the battery is good and charged and the connections seem OK, BUT are they??? Low load components will seem to operate fine, but the darn starter requires more than what is getting through. I did come across a similar situation where everything worked but the starter and there were no obvious dirty connections I could see. The problem was the positive battery cable terminal,. It looked good , scraped it with a screwdriver internally to make sure it was making good contact. The problem persisted until I cleaned the inside of the terminal with the correct tool , a battery terminal cleaner. A tapered wire brush that CLEANS the inside of what appeared to be a , clean , terminal Once it was cleaned and installed the problem was gone. Our point is don't take anything for granted when it comes to electrical connections.