Ford F-150 The entry level full size truck from Ford, one of America's best selling for decades.

RE: towing & hauling.........

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2007, 06:48 PM
Default RE: towing & hauling.........

I posted a while back, but nobody has responded. Either nobody knows the answer or I'm being ignored. [&:] My sister has a 2000 Ford F-150, 4X4, club cab, short bed with a 5.4L, V8. It's a Elec 4sp. auto w/OD. Tow class III, 3.55 ratio limited slip axle. GWR is 6,500 #'s. She has a small Jayco pop-up camper and a 18' travel trailer. Can she haul both if she uses stabilizing bars with her hitch? The trailer weighs around 2,300/2,600 and I think the pop-up weighs in around 500-800. She's planning on moving from Alaska to Oregon. Would she be putting a strain on her transmission?

Anybody here have any advice? Would appreciate some kind of answer.

Thanks,
Loretta

[IMG]local://upfiles/10062/AA62A25869864D8591F4E1C8629FFC7D.jpg[/IMG]

Old 03-28-2007, 09:27 PM

I'd say it should be no problem but you'll have to check your GCWR Gross Combined Weight Ratio (which means weight of trailer plus weight in truck). You should stack a good amount into the truck bed but remember that the full weight of the trailer tongue plus the weight in the truck can't go over the GVW and the combined weight can't be over the GCWR. Also keep in mind that loading the trailer affects the tongue weight. If you load everything to the front in front of the trailers axles tongue weight increases - if you load everthing back it decreases (and can actually lift your trucks rear off the ground if you go too crazy).

Old 03-28-2007, 09:33 PM

I thought she'd be ok. Especially using the stabilizing bars and hitch on the trailer, which takes a lot of weight off the rearend of the truck. I was just wondering if her transmission could handle it if she took it easy. Plus if she had a big enough rearend ratio. Am I saying that right? LOL!! I don't know how much the truck weighs in itself.

Old 03-29-2007, 02:28 PM

Stabilizer bars actually don't remove weight -they minimize trailer sway (which I'll agree is a weight off your mind). You do have a low geared rear with the bigger engine so it should handle the weight well enough as far as the drivetrain. I'd stay out of overdrive (if you have it) when towing though unless you have stickshift gears. The weights for the truck are usually on a sticker on one of the door jams.

Old 03-29-2007, 06:51 PM

I know when I use my stabilizing bars on MY truck & trailer, it levels them both out and doesn't make the back of my truck go down.

Thanks again for replying.
Loretta

Old 03-30-2007, 01:07 AM

Must be a different kind of bar. I'm thinking of something basic. That sounds like eqaulizing bars or a combination system. I'd almost like to see a picture of the system.

Old 03-30-2007, 01:16 AM

This picture is similar to what I'm talking about. They're called sway bars, load equalizing bars or stabilizing bars.
Loretta

Old 03-30-2007, 01:21 AM
Default RE: towing & hauling.........Sorry, pic didn't upload

Sorry, picture didn't upload the first time around.
Loretta

[IMG]local://upfiles/10062/F65A23DC3E4F4B3BB73FB292A4F1FF52.jpg[/IMG]

Old 03-30-2007, 03:35 AM

Yes.Sway/stabilizerlinks are just a little different than equalizers. Some deals have them integrated though.Do you have automatic load leveling? The hitch you're talking about is a weight distributing hitch/equalizer. The equalizer bars have draw under the hitch area to pull together beneath. Too much draw can be dangerous if the rear wheels get up off the ground in stopping though. That's why some are adjustable. Your truckshould not sit higher than it normally does. If so -obviously the weight is incorrectly jacked. A little lower than normal is OK though. One thing I usually like to have in towing is a simple set of safety chains. And keep in mind in PA you're required to have towing mirrors 6 inches out farther than the wider vehicle part (whether it's the trailer (often is) or the truck). Once in a while you find a near perfect match - that's nice to deal with (or not have to rather).

Old 03-30-2007, 12:24 PM

Thanks for all your info. I've been sending your messages to my sister, as it's her truck and trailer. I just want her to be safe moving from Alaska to Oregon.
Loretta