Ford F-150 The entry level full size truck from Ford, one of America's best selling for decades.

weird problem

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2006, 07:09 AM
Default weird problem

I have a 1999 f-150 with a 5.4 It has a remote start as well. Last week It sputtered and stalled once but restarted instantly. Then a few days later it wouldn't start at all. I would turn the key and on the instrument panel the theft light would flash... the odometer would look like this .......... and basically wouldn't run. It wouldn't start with remote either. I tried another key and still wouldn't start. I let it sit for 15 minutes and it finally started. It ran good for a week but did it all again today. Has anyone heard of this? Do you think it might have something to do with the theft system? How about the remote start itself? maybe it is screwing up. Anyway... I could use a little help. Thank you

Old 12-16-2006, 10:16 PM
Default RE: weird problem

Sometimes this is an indication that thebattery is starting to go bad, loose wiring or corrosion at theterminal connectors. You might want to take your truck toAutoZone and have them test the battery and alternator,andrun the ECU codes for free. Please let us know if the tests don't help in pinpointing the problem.

Old 12-17-2006, 02:55 AM

Not to knock Malibu but that is not a common battery issue. Usually if it's a bad battery you will have a really hard time starting you will notice slow cranking speed and a low reading on your trucks insturment panle voltage meter.

Run an ecu test see what codes come up, codes are kept in the system for a long time. Chances are you will find that it's most likely going to be a sensor or wiring issue.

If you are noticing slow crank speed, check the battery. Also take into consideration that if that batteries the stock one and it's never been serviced. (Water topped up, terminals cleaned, the usual) Then Yes the battery is most likely on it's last leg's. If you find that the battery is newer, with no corrosion or anything and cranking speed is normal it is safe to say the battery is still good.

Batteries don't usually show signs of going bad, with the exception of slow cranking speed or waking up in the morning of a really cold day and it's dead, then you know it's a toast battery.

As for the alternator. As I said before if it is a newer battery that doesn't seem to be holding a charge then it's the alternators fault. Time to rebuild or buy a new one.

But, from what you have described to me, I would say that it seem's like a sensor issue with the remot starter system, or maybe just a sensor issue with the starting system. As the ECU will erase codes after letting it sit for a few minutes, and it will log a fault in the system somewhere.

Hope this helps.

Just for the record, letting a vehichle sit for a few minutes then trying again does not do anything for the battery which is why I am ruling it out. A battery to charge, needs an input voltage from the alternator or generator system in the vehichle.

Thanks Morgan.

Old 12-17-2006, 04:11 AM

ORIGINAL: Capt.Moe
Not to knock Malibu but that is not a common battery issue.
No offense taken. However, I didn't say is was a "common battery issue" - only that it can "sometimes" be the problem. A battery that is "starting to go bad",loose or corroded battery terminals, or an alternator thatis starting to go badcandefinitely cause intermittent starting problems. Oiler's problem is intermittent. An anti-theft system can also prevent starting if it detects lowbattery voltage. I've had this same problem on8 occasions with my numerous cars over the past 24 years. That doesn't mean it's his problem too, but it shouldn't be ruled-out as a possibility.

Old 12-17-2006, 04:13 PM

I would'nt rule out your anti-theft causing the problem, Geez I hate remote starters they can really get hacked in the system at times. They alson work with a system of relays and the relay in remote start system could be bad. That relay is actually part of the module box.

Old 12-18-2006, 07:03 PM

Who installed the remote starter for your vehicle? Wheelsup68 breings up a good point about the installation or remote starters. If not done correctly, they work great at first and then can lead to many problems with the electrical system in time.

Old 12-23-2006, 11:40 PM

The local dealer here in town installed it like 5 years ago. I have never had a problem with it before. I should just have the sukker taken out and see what happens... it seemed to do a few weird things in the past few months, like my lights flashing, not starting the truck.. ect. My brother is a mechanic at the dealership here and I am gonna have him look at it. Might just be time to replace the stupid remote starter...

Old 12-25-2006, 07:53 PM

If you still happen to have all of your paper work from the install, see what kind of warranty is on it. Some places do a lifetime warranty on an electrical install (probably not the part itself).

Old 01-15-2007, 12:10 PM

I have the same problem and am working to correct it now. What I have learned from talking to some dealership personnel is that there is a "known" problem, yet they will not fix it unless you are willing to PAY!
Several cases have been reported. The cause appears to be a faulty windshield seal which allows water to enter the vehicle. This water drips and or runs down the wiring to the "Smart Junction Control Box" ( may not be exact name) located on top of the fuse panel. This water builds up and causes electrical shorts and corrosion thatcauses all the symptoms you are describing.
When I removed my fuse panel to access this Junction box I had water running down my arm as i tried to remove it. I never would have believed this to be the problem since I had never had any indication of a leak, such as wet carpet etc.

Good Luck

Old 01-15-2007, 04:12 PM

Clean your battery terminals.Thhe clean the terminals at the starterrelay.Then at the starter.

Quick Reply: weird problem