Ford F-250 & Ford F-350 The heavier duty full sized trucks from Ford, offering bigger, more powerful engines and drivetrains for the abuse they may go through in the workplace.

1984 F250 5.8 starter spins

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2021, 01:53 PM
Default 1984 F250 5.8 starter spins

Starter spins but doesn't turn engine. Tooth looks a little damaged but not that bad. Do I need a shim? Is that tooth too damaged?

I'm new to all this so I'm trying to figure it out and any help would be greatly appreciated

Old 05-04-2021, 06:51 PM

Is that a broken bolt/stud I see in the flywheel housing?

The starter is considered a "Pole shoe" starter. When power is sent down to the starter the field pulls the shoe down and sends the bendix gear ,starter drive gear into the flywheel and contact is made to cause the starter motor to run. One of two things could be a problem , if the starter isn't pulling the shoe down the gear is not engaging the teeth of the flywheel, OR the bendix drive is stripped internally and requires replacement.The gear unit is replaceable, not that difficult, but if the unit has a lot of miles , it might pay to just install a FORD rebuilt starter. They will take your old starter in exchange. Aftermatket starters are alright ,if done by a good rebuilder. Be careful because the starter housings can be different for a std trans from an automatic. Make sure you compare starters to be exactly the same if you decide to exchange.
If that is a broken stud/bolt , no starter will last long unless that is fixed.

Old 05-05-2021, 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by hanky
Is that a broken bolt/stud I see in the flywheel housing?

The starter is considered a "Pole shoe" starter. When power is sent down to the starter the field pulls the shoe down and sends the bendix gear ,starter drive gear into the flywheel and contact is made to cause the starter motor to run. One of two things could be a problem , if the starter isn't pulling the shoe down the gear is not engaging the teeth of the flywheel, OR the bendix drive is stripped internally and requires replacement.The gear unit is replaceable, not that difficult, but if the unit has a lot of miles , it might pay to just install a FORD rebuilt starter. They will take your old starter in exchange. Aftermatket starters are alright ,if done by a good rebuilder. Be careful because the starter housings can be different for a std trans from an automatic. Make sure you compare starters to be exactly the same if you decide to exchange.
If that is a broken stud/bolt , no starter will last long unless that is fixed.
no there's some loctite around the hole which might give it that look. I had a bolt walk out a but. Thank you for the advice! I will try a new starter and see if that is the issue.