Ford F-250 & Ford F-350 The heavier duty full sized trucks from Ford, offering bigger, more powerful engines and drivetrains for the abuse they may go through in the workplace.

2008 F250 Super Duty shifter won't go into drive with shifter (automatic)

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2023, 12:46 PM
Default 2008 F250 Super Duty shifter won't go into drive with shifter (automatic)

Hello, I just acquired a 2008 Ford F250 Super Duty 4x4, V10 auto at salvage auction. The truck was totaled due to rear end damage and "vandalism". The main issue I am having with the truck is that the shifter will not move into the drive position-it moves from park, reverse and neutral without issue and feels smooth. However upon trying to move into drive it will not move down at all. I can disconnect the shifter from the linkage under the steering column and actuate the linkage itself in/out to move through all of the gears with the shifter down. I have to move the shifter up into park before I can move the linkage back into park. I thought this may be a shifter solenoid problem but didn't want to just throw parts at it. All of the steering column looks intact (except the steering wheel adjustment handle is broken) and the shift mechanism seems like it should go into drive but just binds and doesn't move down anymore. The shifter will move back to P, R, N without issue.

The truck runs fantastic, however, some of the wiring in the rear was stripped-tow/hitch connection, power plug in bed, and the tail lights don't work but the turn signals do. I read that some similar issues could be related to the tail lights but I really don't know where I should start troubleshooting as I have never worked on this model truck before. Any advice on troubleshooting would be greatly appreciate. Thank you, Al.

Old 08-01-2023, 12:12 PM

Hi Al,
Question,,,,,,,,,,,, if you disconnect the shift cable down at the trans, can you move the lever on the side of the trans easily thru all the positions , P<R<N>D<L ?

If you can do that , then we would confine our efforts to the lever and cable on the steering column.

The solenoid is there to prevent the shift lever from being moved out of the PARK position UNLESS the brake pedal is depressed. (Safety feature).

Shift lever shafts were known for breaking and it required the shift lever tube to be replaced. Can you look carefully under the strg col and see if the shaft is moving exactly as the lever is moving it? If not, you now know what you need to do Lower the column and replace the shift tube. Before jumping to any conclusions we must first verify that is exactly what happened.Let us know what you find.
There is the possibility the shift cable just needs to be adjusted down at the trans.

Old 08-01-2023, 12:49 PM

Hey Hanky, thanks for the response. I tested with the shift cable disconnected at the trans and yes the trans shifts easily through all positions. Also, it does seem the solenoid is working, as it makes an audible click when the brake is depressed and there's a little metal pin that moves in and out located on top of the shifter assembly. I watched some videos on the shift lever tube but it does not seem to match the shifting mechanism I am working with (pictured below). I believe I've narrowed it down to "#2 selector shaft asy" which I assume is the analogous part to the shift tube on other models. I don't see any visible damage or breaks in the mechanisms, so I am assuming it must be something internal? Also, any idea what the wire coming off of the part 2 is for? I can't seem to find any info on that.

I am leaning towards replacing this part or disassemble it to check for damage. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you, Al

Old 08-07-2023, 02:12 PM

Replaced the shifter asy and can now shift through all gears. The plastic piece in the end of the cable attached to the shifter asy has to be pulled out to shift. Any ideas on where this wire/cable needs to go? I ordered a service manual so hopefully that will show me something.

Thanks, Al