Ford F-250 & Ford F-350 The heavier duty full sized trucks from Ford, offering bigger, more powerful engines and drivetrains for the abuse they may go through in the workplace.

Adding a front camera?

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2021, 06:07 PM
Question Adding a front camera?

I just bought a 2017 F-250 super duty. I'm getting used to driving it. I am not really a big car person, but I can't haul my horses with my Civic so here I am.

It came with all the towing features, which is what I needed, but not all of the auxillary cameras. Is it possible to add a front camera that would integrate with the display? If so, is this something the dealership could do? I am having a hard time dealing with not being able to see what is right in front of me because I'm sitting up so high.

Old 05-31-2021, 10:49 PM

I do not know about the super duties but I know for the F150s it is not simply adding another camera in, the front camera comes as part of the 360 view system and that includes a new module, maybe a different wiring harness, cameras in both sideview mirrors, 90% sure a camera in the 3rd brake light and of course a different internal interface control for the extra camera button.
This is one of the things that while possible is not worth doing due to the exuberant cost both in parts of labor along with not having any warranty of the system.
If you really need it you could get a aftermarket camera and figure out a way to hook in into the camera feed and add a switch that can change between rear and front cameras along with a other switch to make the camera system think its in reverse so you can pull up the camera while not in reverse.

Last edited by scott.butler4; 05-31-2021 at 10:52 PM.
Old 06-01-2021, 04:54 AM

Thank you!

Old 06-01-2021, 05:23 PM

I've got a 2008 Super Duty. I knew I'd be replacing the stereo as I wanted a backup camera.
The stereo I bought also had an option for a forward-facing one that served as a dashcam but also has lane departure notification.
Since installing these two cameras, I've learned a bit. If you can figure out which wire is for the rear camera, there is a module you can buy on Amazon and add up to three additional cameras (you're going to need to know a bit about wiring) - The module has power coming into it, and will activate the other cameras as needed (back-up cameras that I've worked on and installed will turn on when the camera receives a 12V signal from being shifted into reverse, which this module simulates) and can select the other cameras as you want them. A wireless button allows you to select the camera, sends the signal down the line to power the camera and to activate the display, and poof: Your camera is on the display.
I plan on installing three additional cameras - one on each mirror and one on my front bumper (for clearance checks when I need to get really close to something). My nephew plans on doing something similar with his RV with the forward camera checking clearance on the top as he pulls into areas with low clearances.

Old 06-01-2021, 05:29 PM

Thank you!

Old 06-01-2021, 08:54 PM

Here are links to the videos of the stereos and cameras I've installed:

Old 06-02-2021, 11:53 AM

Wow, that's super cool, thank you.

Old 06-13-2022, 09:11 PM
Default Forward front camera

I bought a 2021 new Edge ST,,, from day one has had numerous problems from all sensors decided to quit, once that got fixed, my center large computer screen would just while driving go all blank… which now I had no control over a/c defrost/ navigation/fans and all other items it controls.. sometimes the screen would divide itself in half.. diagonal or make squares… then they updated that… which the very next day I get cartoon like distortion in both front and rear cameras…. Called mother Ford and they helped me fix BUT they told me there was indeed an update and recall BUT only for the rear camera! Odd..brought it back in again….got it back and next driving experience was the computer screen would while I was driving say, 40 mph turn the rear facing camera on, and I would see this fast paced rushing screen … super hard to NOT look at it while ur eyes are supposed to be on the wheel and road…. Then by itself, it switch to front facing camera and same thing, rushing (turned on by itself and rushing fast paced like a movie and I was looking at the scene going the wheels… again super hazardous bc in order for me to go to work I had to bring a towel to place over the computer so I would not look at the screen which makes u dizzy! Back to dealership once more… then I was UNABLE to fuel the air.. yup it kept clicking after it accepted $5.00 , it would click off… back to dealership and they claimed it was normal and called a “purge valve”???? Then… and got it back on the driveway and guess what? The front forward camera button does NOT work now…. So when I park the vehicle in a shopping center , I must take these steps…stop car, put it into Park, then drive, then reverse, then back into drive THEN press forward button, it turns on for exactly 2 seconds and in that time I must park the car… 2 seconds doesn’t give me enough time PLUS for 55k I think I deserve some explanation…. So.. bought car july 16th 2021 out of 11 months it has lived in the dealership for 9.. each time they had it for 7-10 days and put mileage on it…. I called Mother Ford and got a case number for buy back… a technician at the dealership whispered into my ear..”Gremlins”… he said its something that you will never fix….so I have a question… I LOVE my car… but Ford has put more mileage on it then me… am I crazy? Does anyone else have a FRONT CAMERA that has decided on its own to stop working?????? I am told this has been escalated to the engineers at Ford… so far… nothing…. Tonite I entered my car and the steering wheel heat turned on by itself and so did the a/c in the seat…. At first I thought I was nuts and perhaps I accidentally did it… but went out to eat with friends, and got back into the car and sure as hell, it did it right before my eyes… I have almost all of this video’s for proof to show the dealership but they claim they must keep my car to see it for themselves… and in doing so, have put unnecessary mileage on it… for sensors when parking, why was 50 miles put on it??? U only need to drive in your own dealership to park! And check out sensors.. so now I snap shot my mileage before I turn it in… they have also given me my first chip of paint off…. So im not a happy camper… and apparently I was either the first or one of the first complainers of the FRONT FACING CAMERA BUTTON… now… they do know about it, but I am awaiting the “fix” has this happened to anyone??? What fix did u do to fix it? I will take any and all advice….thanks in advance