Ford F-250 & Ford F-350 The heavier duty full sized trucks from Ford, offering bigger, more powerful engines and drivetrains for the abuse they may go through in the workplace.

A/C compressor clutch kicking in and out constantly.

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2006, 03:29 PM
Default A/C compressor clutch kicking in and out constantly.

I have a 2004 F250 4x4 Crewcab 6.0dsl. A/C was not getting cold so I took it down and had a A/C mechanic look at it. He said it was low and had a small leak. He charged system with freon/stop leak. A/c worked great for about two weeks. Started noticing that it did not blow cold all the time. Thought it might still have a leak and needed it to work at that moment. Stopped by and grabbed a can off the shelf. The gauge on the can said it was good (in the middle of the blue). I went ahead and put a little in since I was not sure how accurate it was, but still stayed in the blue. Did not want to over charge it. It worked somewhat for a day or two. When I had a chance to look at it, I noticed that the compressor clutch was not staying engauged (on for about 3-4sec, off for about the same). Not know why it was doing it, I checked the pressure switch (jumpering across). This did not change anything. Stopped using a/c at that time. About a week or so went by and had to use the truck, needed a/c again, and checked it out. It was working with no problems. Clutch stayed engauged as far as I could tell. Truck was not as cold as it normal gets when working right (freezes you out), but it did work. Since then, most days it works, but sometimes it goes back to turning off/on. Does this truck have a thermostat control and if so, how do I check to make sure it is working. What else can I check? Have used the same can of freon on a our car and it was dead in the middle of the blue. I did change the truck back to the same, to insure it was not overcharged.

Old 06-08-2006, 11:24 PM
Default RE: A/C compressor clutch kicking in and out constantly.

if you have a leak get it fixed stop leaks dont work and freon isnt the best thing to keep releasing to the air and when it is off and on its because its low