Ford F-250 & Ford F-350 The heavier duty full sized trucks from Ford, offering bigger, more powerful engines and drivetrains for the abuse they may go through in the workplace.

Fuel issue I think but I really need help

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2008, 12:03 AM
Default Fuel issue I think but I really need help

First time poster. Looking for some help please.

I have a 1986 F350 with a 460. Was having some troubles last November. It ran really rough. I knew it was the carb. Had the carb rebuilt over the winter (third time in the past year...I wish people knew what they were doing when they say they could rebuild a carb). Whet to put it on the truck today (45 miles away). Carb went on without a problem. Tried to turn it over and no battery. Replaced the battery and then....nothing. It wouldn't start. It would crank over but nothing. Figured out there was no gas (not that I could tell...one gauge is not functioning). Went and put 2.5 gallons in the tank and tried it again...nothing.

The truck starts to turn over but it just won't catch. I spray carb cleaner down the carb and it starts to go but as soon as I give it gas it quickly dies. Spent 7 hours today with it and left with nothing but added expenses.

It was at least running when I pulled the carb off in January, rough but at least it still ran. Last fall I did a tune up on it (new plugs, wires, cap and air cleaner). Replaced the small little fuel filter at the carb. The auto parts store I went to didn't show another fuel filter for the truck but I find that hard to believe. I had the carb rebuilt by someone I can trust when they say what they did.

I'm not too sure what I can check or where to begin. I'm trying to get this thing down to the town I have since moved to so I can sell it. So, I'm not looking at just replacing random parts. I come to the experts here for some helpful advise. Please help me!

Thanks,
Byron

Old 04-13-2008, 12:21 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Fuel issue I think but I really need help

Welcome to the site..

Did you take the fuel line back off the carb, and crank the engine to see if you had fuel pressure and a decent volume from the fuel pump? If not, check to see if the pump is running, make sure you install a short hose on the fuel line and a container to capture the fuel..