Ford F-250 & Ford F-350 The heavier duty full sized trucks from Ford, offering bigger, more powerful engines and drivetrains for the abuse they may go through in the workplace.

My 2010 F250 Smokes...

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2012, 03:06 PM

Another picture for all of you that would consider spending $50,000 on a smoke generator!!

Attached Thumbnails My 2010 F250 Smokes...-smoke1.jpg  
Old 12-28-2012, 07:49 PM
Super Moderator
Cool

Probably no mosquitoes within miles though..

The problem IMO really is,,

That you paid for a truck that doesn’t perform as billed. Like that's never happened But, the DPF change intervals aren’t going to be what Ford advertised either, and is going to reflected back at the consumer/owners. Even though a vendor engine to Ford, they need stand behind not only the truck, but the promise of service/maintenance requirements as they were sold as..

Early 6.0 was introduced with pilot injection (quite idle),, was a failure and programmed away with most owners unaware until too late, and people were hosed off. Later was the injector ‘buzz flash’ . 6.0 was also touted as being a better mileage performer then the 7.3. Not even close, but did draw in new purchasers to the 6.0 family given the pomoted stats, again,, most not happy. But the power/performance improvement (if you had no other issues) over the 7.3 quieted most.. OK some....

But, a problem that not only has the possibility and potential to cost you in fines for excessive emissions, and the possibility of legal issues and liability should someone have an accident following you in your ‘comet trail’ is real..

If you don’t get any satisfaction at your dealer, and/or Ford, (not sure how many times it’s been in for service for the same problem?) I’d look into starting a buy back process. Or, if keeping the truck is the best option, keep running it back in (even though a hassle) until it becomes a regular fixture in the shop, point being,, you shouldn't have to put up with it either or be embarrassed to actually drive a 50k truck..

Maybe , during a regen, park it as close and up front to the sales area as possible and let’er go!! Noth'n sells more new vehicles then one that looks like its on fire! Not that smoke isn't anything all that unusual to see in the service area, not popular and alarming in public view, or to a potential customer put'n ink on a contract... Repeat as needed..

Maybe a trip to the local law enforcement office for a show and complimentary ticket or two to help speed the buy back process along, or at the very least, leverage to get some repair attention. Take the ticket/s to your local Ford store service, and demand for them to pay the fines if not correctable (in plain view of the heavy morning customer service crowds for optimal results) and stating your concerns. Might call your insurance company and send them the images and/or tickets and tell them your afraid of the liability driving this truck can expose you to,, and THEM.. Stir it up...

If a DPF delete would be an option, it would solve your problems but brings warranty concern in to play. If they can't get it to stop excessive smoke trailing, then give them the option of buying it back, OR, a DPF delete WITHOUT any warranty denial for the kit install. Your servicing shop may turn a blind eye for a kit, but could be a problem at another dealer should service outside your area be needed. Kits and some perforamnce upgrades are many times overlooked (not always) but if a failure or needed repair/s can be pinned to the upgrade, then comes the possible problem..

In reality, they can’t approve removing an emission device, so there cornered into a fix attempt, or buying it if they can't correct a repeated problem that is unsafe and can potentially cause personal injury liabilty, and/or property damage... Your certainly not alone...

Last edited by Hayapower; 12-28-2012 at 08:38 PM.
Old 12-29-2012, 07:10 PM

Mr. Moderator, I do agree. As a Ford cerified tech, I CANNOT delete a piece of emmissions equipment without Fords backing or direction.
However, they do eventually go out of warranty, and once that happens, they are open to "improvements".
I found out years ago that when rebuilding Ford automatics to factory specs was a futile experienece in repeat faliures, until I found out about certain upgrades that fixed all the original problems, and with the side benefit of making the thing last a WHOLE lot longer then OE!

Old 12-30-2012, 02:28 PM
Super Moderator

Very True..

Keeps aftermarket strong though

Sad, and like you I've seem my share of empty engine bays. stripped away front ends and cabs sitting in the rafters too..

Should be,, given the Ford/Navistar track record, warranty would be extended out on all PS power plant/s that have known issue,, 'turds' (liked that one). Sizeable list though, and cost. Not just band-aid repairs with the same OE parts, and not just to get them out of warranty. Even though another co op Ford/Navistar,, design flaws and performance/driveabilty problems, sure, most do, but no matter what, Ford should pony up either way. But getting a truck beyond warranty the best they can, and drive'n a truck that rolls down the road look'n like a Saturn Rocket, I'd be on the front line if it were mine, and of course have a kit ready if close to expired coverage

I always liked,,, I got a good one! Like your pick'n fruit,, shouldn't ever even be a worry buying a 50-60K truck.....

Last edited by Hayapower; 12-30-2012 at 09:52 PM.
Old 02-27-2013, 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by Hayapower
Probably no mosquitoes within miles though..

Maybe , during a regen, park it as close and up front to the sales area as possible and let’er go!! Noth'n sells more new vehicles then one that looks like its on fire! Not that smoke isn't anything all that unusual to see in the service area, not popular and alarming in public view, or to a potential customer put'n ink on a contract... Repeat as needed..

I did this with my 6.0L and they put a turbo on it finally!

Old 02-27-2013, 06:18 PM
Super Moderator

^^