Ford F-250 & Ford F-350 The heavier duty full sized trucks from Ford, offering bigger, more powerful engines and drivetrains for the abuse they may go through in the workplace.

Unplugging EGR Valve 6.0L

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2007, 06:58 PM
Default Unplugging EGR Valve 6.0L

Has anybody tried unplugging they're EGR valve? I've heard that doing so increases fuel mileage slightly but allows the engine to un cooler and cleaner with no side effects to the engine. Is this true? Followingare a couple ofexcerps from another forum which I copied and pasted. See what you think.

Upon disconnection, I noticed a small to medium decrease in the turbo spool time (ie, less lag) under partial throttle, lower rpm conditions. This modification will not affect the motor at higher rpm's under heavy load, as the motor lacks the backpressure to trigger exhaust gas recirculation under these conditions.
The reason for the partial throttle enhancement is this - the EGR valve pulls exhaust gasses out of the passenger side uppipe and recirculates the gasses back into the intake to reduce engine emissions. This has a negative impact on power in two ways. First, the exhaust air is much hotter than the air from the compressor side of the turbo after it is intercooled. The EGR system has a cooler on it, but from all literature i have read the gasses from it are still an average of 150 to 200 degrees hotter. Hot intake gasses negatively impact performance. Foremostly, however, is the fact that the gasses are drawn from the uppipe. The lost quantity of gas is that of which COULD be spooling the turbo; therefore by disabling the valve, 100% of the exhaust air is being put through the turbocharger, thereby reducing the time it takes to spool up.

I have driven about 3000 miles with it unhooked now. According to the 6.0 Bible, the default position for the valve is closed. Therefore, when the engine is shut off, the valve will be closed. Unplug the valve with the engine off and it will not open again until it is plugged back in. Alot of people I have talked to notice very little or no performance gain from it; I apparently was a lucky one and experienced a middle-of the road gain. I suppose its just worth a try; if you try it and dont think its worth it, it is very easy to put back the way it was. As for the engine running cleaner, I have noticed that there is very little or no oil in the boost tubes or intake elbow after unplugging it.

Old 01-31-2009, 10:39 PM

how do you unplug it wont that make the check engine light come on

Old 04-20-2010, 10:16 PM

My engine light has come on , i put in a egr delete kit (just the egr valve). So i cleaned the egr valve and plugged it back in . I've erased the codes , but the light has come back on, so now what?