Ford Focus This compact luxury sedan and hatchback has become popuar among sport compact tuners due to its small size, and available performance parts, as well as the availability of the SVT model

Bad Front End Vibration ('05 MK1 Focus ZX5)

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2024, 09:36 AM
Default Bad Front End Vibration ('05 MK1 Focus ZX5)

For the past month or so, I have been noticing a vibration in the front end, and it has been getting worse. The vibration used to only start around 70mph, now I can't barely go 65mph without the front end vibrating bad. Only a couple of times did it feel like the front end was going to fall off, and when it got that bad, it took coming to a complete stop to get it to settle down. Also when the vibrations started at 70mph, the steering wheel felt a little more "floaty" than usual, but now it feels "floaty" no matter how fast or slow you are going (I could go 1mph and it still feel "floaty") and you can feel it when you are mid turn as well.

I had a trusted shop do a full inspection and only quoted me for sway bar links and motor mounts. I replaced the sway bar links and the passenger engine mount. Just waiting to do the torque and transaxle mount. Otherwise, all of the brake components checked out and I checked as well and they seemed fine.

I did a tire rotation when it did the violent shaking, and that didn't change a thing. I lifted the front end, shook the wheels at 9 and 3, and 12 and 6, spun the wheels by hand, and nothing felt lose (no play in any direction) and no abnormal sounds from the bearings. I checked for any abnormal bounce in the struts, and they were fine as well.

Any thoughts on this? Could this be the rack&pinion finally taking dump? I'll send pictures of what I see when I get off work, but I need to solve this mystery asap since I have summer courses for college that is a 40 minute drive in one direction.

Thanks for any help!

Also, it's an Auto transmission. Just wanted to clarify that.

Last edited by Jtdiebs; 05-30-2024 at 09:42 AM.
Old 05-30-2024, 07:15 PM

Driver inner axle

Passenger axle closest to transmission

Passenger axle inner boot

Driver side of the rack & pinion

Rack & pinion center of vehicle

Rack and pinion passenger side