Ford Focus This compact luxury sedan and hatchback has become popuar among sport compact tuners due to its small size, and available performance parts, as well as the availability of the SVT model

Windsheild wiper 'feature'

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2007, 11:23 AM
Default Windsheild wiper 'feature'

HI All,

I have a focus wagon, 2002 I believe (the SE edition..)

I got the car 2nd hand, and it never came with the user’s manual.

Now, apart from all the usuals, I have one particular issue that really bugs me, especially in winter.

What really gets my goat, and is becoming quite the issue, is a silly windshield wiper feature. I guess it made sense when they designed it, but is sure don’t make sense now that I’m driving it!!

There seems to be a special function’ whereas when you spritz the washer fluid onto the windshield, the wipers come on. So far, great! What really irks me, is that after it’s done its ‘windshield wash cycle’, it give and extra wipe. After about a 30 second pause, the car happily gives the wipers and extra wipe, I guess to get any runs or drips from the previous wash cycle.

Now, in a Canadian winter, that last wipe smears the windshield. With all the salt & road grime from the wet winter road, that last wipe smears all this residue, and forces you to wash it off. Only to then get this dreaded ‘last / safety’ wipe, which smears your windshield, and you curse the %^&* wipers form doing their thing, and then you hit the spritz button again, and get a nice clean windshield, for about 30 seconds, until it does its ^&*() thing again!! So, I feel I end up cursing the #$$%^&* thing, and am constantly running the washing cycle.

Thanks,

paul

Old 12-10-2007, 12:09 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Windsheild wiper 'feature'

Yeah that would be a pain. I am not sure if there is a way to stop that, but may be in the owners manual. I know you don't have it but you can download it from here. Hope it can help.

https://www.fleet.ford.com/maintenan...ls/default.asp

Old 12-10-2007, 01:40 PM
Default RE: Windsheild wiper 'feature'

Cheers! thanks!

Alas, it does refer to the 'feature', but ther is no indication that you can turn it off.. And it's 4 seconmds, not teh 30 I said. Seesm liek an eternity though. I know it's gogin to happne, and it does. I then get ready for it. Not a happy feeling, but more of a "If it does it one more time , I'm gonna......." feeling PItty.

(Hence why I'm popping on toa ford forum, to see if I'm the only one, or if others have the same irk..)

I guess i have to actually call the dealership & pay something to have this removed or fixed.