Ford Fusion The next installation in the Ford sedan lineup not only joins as the new mid sized sedan, but also as the Ford entry for NASCAR.

Parking brake locked with multiple icons on dash

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2020, 11:21 AM
Question Parking brake locked with multiple icons on dash

2016 Fusion Titanium with 5k miles started with Brake system light, as well as Traction Control and ABS lights. Rear electric Parking Brake motors locked and vehicle would not move forward or reverse when transmission was in gear. Researched Electrical Rear Parking Brake procedure and got the car in Maintenance Mode. Still have 4 or 5 illuminated Icons but rear brake motors released so can can move in gear. Checked for codes at OBD port and found none. All normal monitors set but no stored codes. Comes out of Maintenance Mode but still shows dash warning lights and still locks up.

What is causing this warning? Regular brakes seem to be functioning properly. I usually do not ever activate the parking brake and it was not turned on at the last time the car was shut off..
What could be causing this? Can I safely drive the car with the Brake, Traction Control, and ABS warning Icons on the dash?

Last edited by bighank; 02-03-2020 at 05:03 PM.
Old 04-30-2020, 09:10 PM

Jack it up and check there is no damage to the wiring near the parking brake actuators. ABS will be turned off due to being in maintenance mode, I dont know if you would damage the parking brake actuators if you drive with it in maintenance mode. When you say there are no codes present do you mean when you are in maintenance mode or not when in maintenance mode? Its normal for brake/ABS/traction lights to be on when in maintenance mode since they want it to be obviouse so you dont screw something up. I have seen a few actuators freeze up when applied and have to be replaced, did you get a rear brake job very recently?

Old 08-15-2022, 11:32 PM

Originally Posted by bighank
2016 Fusion Titanium with 5k miles started with Brake system light, as well as Traction Control and ABS lights. Rear electric Parking Brake motors locked and vehicle would not move forward or reverse when transmission was in gear. Researched Electrical Rear Parking Brake procedure and got the car in Maintenance Mode. Still have 4 or 5 illuminated Icons but rear brake motors released so can can move in gear. Checked for codes at OBD port and found none. All normal monitors set but no stored codes. Comes out of Maintenance Mode but still shows dash warning lights and still locks up.

What is causing this warning? Regular brakes seem to be functioning properly. I usually do not ever activate the parking brake and it was not turned on at the last time the car was shut off..
What could be causing this? Can I safely drive the car with the Brake, Traction Control, and ABS warning Icons on the dash?
i have the same issue. I have a 2016 does fusion SE. a buddy of mine ran a scan and he said it wasn’t the ABS I’m starting to think it’s the rear parking brake actuator. It might have been damaged when I put the car in service mode while changing the rear brakes. Never had an issue performing maintenance on a vehicle until I touched a ford…