Ford GT The car that dominated the european racing scene in the earlier days of American motoring, the GT40, has returned. but this time, for street use, the "40" has been dropped and the GT has become a supercar to battle along side the European Sports coupes.

I have a 2005 GT short block

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2021, 05:05 PM
Default I have a 2005 GT short block

Can anyone tell me I can get the block converted to wet sump oil system and machined for a standard starter motor?
Thanks

Old 11-28-2023, 06:06 AM

Converting a 2005 GT short-block to a wet sump oil system and machining it for a standard starter motor is possible, but it involves several considerations and modifications.

The original 2005 GT likely uses a dry sump oiling system, which is more complex but provides better oil control, especially during high-performance driving.
Converting to a wet sump system involves replacing the oil pan, and oil pump, and modifying or adding components for proper oil circulation.
It's essential to ensure compatibility with the engine's components and that the conversion is done correctly to maintain proper lubrication.

If your 2005 GT short-block currently uses a different starter motor than the standard one, you may need to modify the block for compatibility.
This could involve machining or modifying the block to accommodate the mounting and engagement of a standard starter motor.
Ensure that the flywheel or flexplate is also compatible with the standard starter motor.

Both the wet sump conversion and modification for a standard starter motor require precision machining.
It's crucial to have these modifications done by a professional machine shop with experience in working on high-performance engines.
Consult with the machine shop to discuss the specifics of the modifications and ensure they have the expertise and equipment to carry out the work.

Before proceeding, consider the intended use of the engine. Wet sump systems are more common in street applications, while dry sump systems are preferred for racing and high-performance driving.
The modifications may affect the resale value of the engine, so consider the long-term implications. visit carwooow