Ford Mustang For over 50 years, the Mustang name has stood for affordable industry leading performance with its powerful V8 Ford Mustang engines and sporty lines.

electrical issue

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2007, 09:31 AM
Default electrical issue

i have a 96 mustang gt and had some problems with the battery so i went out and bought a new one and for a time it was allright, after a few months
it started acting up again. Now if i dont start the car every day the battery will be dead and when it has a real low battery it tweaks out the radio, lights and all manner of things. Mabye the battery was underpowered for the car? Not too sure whats going on with it right now but i looked into the aftermarket radio i put in and all seems to be fine. Any suggestions or comments???

Old 01-02-2008, 12:03 PM
Default RE: electrical issue

you should go to a shop and have your alternator checked, sometimes, just sometimes, when the diodes in the alternator go bad they can cause your electrical to ground out so to speak and cause a negative draw from your battery vice charging the battery. I don't know your location, but any les schwab will test your batt and alternator, if you take it off the car and carry it in, pep boys, autozone, napa, schucks/kragen, most major parts stores. this suggestion is simply that though, i can't guarantee thats the problem your having. to save you some trouble, which it will not be the tell all/say all... but if you have volt/ohm meter read your battery's voltage, then start the car and read it again, see if it changes, that will at least tell you if its making power, but itcould still be bad. it should read between 11 and 12 volts, 13 to 14 with the engine running. hope this helps.