Ford Mustang For over 50 years, the Mustang name has stood for affordable industry leading performance with its powerful V8 Ford Mustang engines and sporty lines.

Low coolant sensor

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2019 | 02:52 PM
|
Default Low coolant sensor

I bought my daughter a 2016 v6 mustang. It ran low on coolant. 1 gallon to be exact. The coolant light never came on. Can someone tell me if the sensor is in the resivour or in the radiator? This is my first ford to own so i have no idea. Thanks

Old 11-30-2019 | 05:43 PM

Coolant temp sensor is (ECT) located on the engine. To the best of my knowledge there is no sensor to tell you the level is low., but a good idea to introduce !

Ran low on coolant kinda tells us there is someplace it is going. Hope that is not the case !
How did you find that the level was below full? Driving instructions , I hope.

Old 11-30-2019 | 06:52 PM
|

The temp light came on, thats how i knew it was low. the oil on the dipstick appeared clean.

Old 12-02-2019 | 10:41 AM
Super Moderator

Second the concern, coolant must be exiting somewhere..

Might inspect all the engine bay connections/hoses, radiator seams etc and look for any coolant ‘tracking’ evidence on down, or the ‘hanging drip’ from the cars underside. Another good practice, and for sure the first step is to have the system pressure tested.. If your loosing coolant, better to know now should an issue be present..

No coolant level sensor,
The cars engine management would though attempt to cool the engine under an over temp condition..

Old 05-20-2020 | 04:48 PM

If it is the 3.7 duratech engine which I believe is the only V6 offered then I would recommend looking at the water pump, they are a known issue. If the pulley has 4 bolts it is original, if the pulley has only 3 bolts then it is the upgraded/improved water pump.
The new water pump comes with a new pulley and and you simply dont use one of the bolts.

Old 07-30-2020 | 11:30 AM

Dealer calls and says that we will do that TSB but its not covered by Ford. How is a defect that they know about and have a written TSB for not covered? See below.

Some 2014-2015 Escape, 2015 C-Max and Focus vehicles equipped with integrated remote start may exhibit an illuminated MIL with diagnostic trouble code (DTC) P0116 in the powertrain control module (PCM) immediately following a remote start event. Vehicles may also display a warning message stating Engine Coolant Over Temperature. This condition may occur when remote start is used and the vehicle is allowed to time out (engine shuts off). Reprogram the body control module (BCM) using the latest software version of the appropriate Ford diagnostic scan tool. For claiming, use causal part 12A648 and applicable labor operations in Section 10 of the Service Labor Time Standards (SLTS) Manual.

Old 07-30-2020 | 02:42 PM

When you are out of base warranty and do not have ford extended service coverage then the only things they have to pay for are recalls. Everything else is out of pocket for the customer.
If your a regular customer who buys most of the recommendations at your local dealer and ask very politely that dealer may be willing to do it for free next time you are getting work done.
Based the description of the TSB you posted it is not a issue that occurs when driving but only when using the remote start, thus its not a safety issue, and not a recall.
For clarification just cause there is a a TSB and a recall are completely different, in this case when I retrieve this code I would get a notice that there is a related TSB, then instead of charging you one hour to diag the issue I can just look up the TSB and see what it says to do, I then recommend doing whatever the TSB, instead of completing diag first, since Ford already did diag that will cover 99% of vehicles with that code.
Here is a TSB example, the F150 vista roof sun roof guides where cracking/breaking causing the sunroof not to work correctly, well at first the only way to get the new guides was to buy a whole new sunroof track assembly,under warranty ford was more then happy to pay for it, ford tracked down why they were cracking/breaking they made it so we could replace just the guides and the lubricant that comes in the sunroof track instead of having to install a whole new sunroof, in doing this now customers can also go that route instead of replacing the whole run roof track.