Ford Ranger The small pickup that has withstood the test of time offering pickup truck usefulness combined with an affordable price.

1990 ranger Automatic trans

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2012, 07:26 AM
Default 1990 ranger Automatic trans

I have a 1990 ranger in need of a new transmission. My question is which harness determines if I have a two wire trans or three wire trans. The tailshaft next to the spedo cable is a two wire harness. On the upper left side of the trans is a multi wire (I think 5 wires) harness. Below that near the top of the oil pan is a three wire. I think this is the wire or plug referred to for identifying the three wire.
Thanks
Bob

Old 02-18-2012, 08:42 PM

It is; the 2 wires at the back are for the VSS sensor, the 5 wire connector is for reverse and nuetral safety switch. All the A4LD transmissions (as these were called in Ford parlance) had these. The 3 wire connector controls TCC and 4th gear.

Old 02-22-2012, 04:53 PM

Thanks for your reply greasemark. I installed a new old stock trans with the three wire . 1st and 2ng shift fine but in 3rd i get slipping could this be a simple band adjustment?
Bob

Old 02-23-2012, 09:55 PM

Most likely not. My father had a simple, yet usually right saying about this (he owned his own shop in automatics back in the '50's, but the truth holds): "if you need to adjust a band, you usually need a band."
However, it does pay to look at the holddown nut and see if it's tight. If it hasn't moved (which most won't), then you probably need either some attention to the o/d or direct drum, depending on which 3rd gear you're talking about (remember, in this trans, on some applications, '2nd gear' was really just an overdriven first gear, so there are 2 choices).
These transmissions usually did burn up the intermediate band quite often, and on many they just wear out.
Sounds like you're going to need work; don't put it off for long, either. The slipping causes heat which burns drums, clutches, pistons, etc. making the repair really expensive.

Old 02-24-2012, 05:43 PM

Thanks again the trans has not been driven other than around the block. It is a new old stock trans, never been installed until now. I can feel1st and 2nd shift fine when it shifts to third I feel slippage, I did not drive to see if the torque converter locks up. I will check the lock nut for looseness.
I am hoping for an adjustment problem, the place I bought it from will guarantee it to work but will not pay shipping.
Thanks
Bob