Ford Ranger The small pickup that has withstood the test of time offering pickup truck usefulness combined with an affordable price.

'90 2.9L ranger

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2006, 12:17 AM
Default '90 2.9L ranger

i was just curious. my dad bought a '90 ranger with a 2.9 L and a five speed and a utility box on the back. i was wondering if anyone else's ranger is as sluggish as mine. i'm talking like mid teens to 60 and a top speed of 81. if this is about right let me know, if it sounds wrong, please tell me what my problem could be, it sounds ok when driving so i don't know.

Old 05-19-2006, 11:50 AM
Default RE: '90 2.9L ranger

yah they are underpowered. mine has the 3 litre with auto. put a k&n filter, freeier flowing muffler (flowmaster dynomax ect), and it should help. make sure the cat is not plugged also because that would suck the power out of it. and also maybe its the utility box in the back weighing it down. unless its just a tool box (diamond plate one that just goes behind the cab)

Old 05-19-2006, 09:37 PM
Default RE: '90 2.9L ranger

My dad has a 2.9 in his Bronco II and it is really crappy compared to the 2.9 in my Ranger. I too put a flowmaster, and an after market intake, helped quite a bit. I'd suggest a simple tune up, (spark plugs, filters, distributor cap+rotor, etc.) You also might try running a bottle of fuel injector cleaner through it.