Ford Ranger The small pickup that has withstood the test of time offering pickup truck usefulness combined with an affordable price.

90 Ford Ranger Stuck in low

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2005, 01:13 PM
Default 90 Ford Ranger Stuck in low

I have a 1990 Ford ranger XLT 2.9 Liter And it set for about 4 months went to get in and got it running and it is stuck in 4x4 low range and wont come out. The lights blink fast and i dot know what to do. It is obviously undrivable right now. Is there a way to disengage both 4x4 and low range manually? Please help

Old 04-12-2005, 12:58 PM
Default RE: 90 Ford Ranger Stuck in low

come on please help does anyone know or is there just know one looking at this?

Old 04-12-2005, 08:59 PM

Sorry Red,
I've read it, just don't know what is causing it.
Have you tried looking under the truck with a friend working the lever. Look for anything that might be binding.
Good Luck, and keep us posted

Old 04-15-2005, 06:40 PM

Keep in mind I have earned my "wingnuts" so to speak the hard way- I wrench my own truck having had two of them but...technical terms are iffy ok? keep it simple is what I do -I have to can't afford shop prices. Anyway I had the same problem awhile back and no one could fiqure it out so I had made myself this really cool creeper so I wouldn't keep rolling over my hair and I was under the truck 89 F-250 checking it out and saw a vaccum line hanging from the trans. I put on the only place it looked like it might go and da-dah it started shifting again, now what that is called I do not know and I do not care it worked and it has happened once since so I just replaced the vaccum line with a new peice. You never know ... it sure cured my shifting problem. good luck

Old 05-11-2005, 01:28 PM

It is not the floor Mount one it is the push button on the dash, does this change anything?

Old 05-12-2005, 01:30 AM

Give this a try since it seems to be electric shift while pushing on the button have someone take a small hammer and tap on the motor they seem to want to stick from sitting. Motor or at least key has to be on while doing this and be sure its in park and foot on brake while being under there with it running . Also you can take the motor assy off and shift it manually but dont think it will stay in the position with out motor hooked up.

Good luck and lets us know.

Old 06-01-2005, 01:36 AM

Since you have the push button electronic shift, you might want to look at the computer
controls (module, relays etc) that control the transfer case. Other than that, not too
familar with the newer electronic mechanics.

Old 06-01-2005, 02:12 AM

ORIGINAL: redneckranger66

Is there a way to disengage both 4x4 and low range manually? Please help
if it is a vacum disconnect, I have read of a way of disconnecting the front axel using lung power (never needed the trick for my jeep thank god) it involves sucking on one of the vacume tubes to ingage and the other to disingage. you would just have to experement to find out which one. you might also find something about this on google. as for the transfer case, usually the power shifted cases can't be converted to run on lever, so I dought that you can shift it your self. top of my head guess is that something in the shifter mecianism is shot. you may be able to chase down the problem with a multimeter, but it would probably be fairly complex.

Me personally, I would not like one of those shift on the fly thingys. it would be almost as bad as controling a manual tranny with a dial. oops, maybe i shouldn't say that, it may give some manufacture an idea!!