Ford Ranger The small pickup that has withstood the test of time offering pickup truck usefulness combined with an affordable price.

'96 Ranger - Sounds like a rumble strip!

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2007, 01:46 AM
Default '96 Ranger - Sounds like a rumble strip!

Hi All!

Yeah, yeah, I know all about the screen name...I have an '87 Ramcharger on another forum, and it has been a long week, so it was easier to use my existing stuff...all I need to do is sign up my '01 Alero on a forum and my life is complete!

My hubby's 1996 4WD XLT just returned home tonight from a clutch job...new slave cylinder, clutch, pressure plate, flywheel, etc....the works! It's running like a scared bunny now!

On the way homefrom work, he called totell me that the truck madea few loud noises that sounded "like it was going over a rumble strip". I took itfor a drive to check it out.

I purposely went over a hilly road and around turns, ran it with hubs in, ran it with hubs out, shiftedon high rev, shifted on low rev, and even backed up a couple times. NOTHING!

Then I pulled off in a parking lot to talk to him on the phone and set the brake.A coupleminutes after I pulled out, she let off a big rumble...I seriously thought about looking to see if I'd left something behind! My hand was resting on the shifter, and there was no vibration. (BTW, nothing in the steering wheel or floorboard either). I also pushed the clutch in and out a couple times...it had no effect on the noise. I'm hoping that means they aren't related!

On the way back to the mechanic's shop,she let offthree more rumbles, but they were nothing compared to that first one. Each one was less intense, and the final one sounded like the noise you get when your car's radiator shroudscrapes a parking curb at walmart.

So I got to thinkin'...A couple weeks ago, the parking brake got stuck in the driveway. I horsed her forward and then backed her into an uphill part of the driveway...that broke it loose. We've had a lot of mud around the farm for the last few weeks, and the way he drives her, it gets into everything! It had been a verycold& windynight, so I assumed it was literally frozen...never mentioned it to my mechanic. When I ran out to tractor supply for some stuff earlier this evening, I noticed that the pedal on the parking brake wasn't very consistent (sometimes2 clicks, sometimes 5, etc) and it even drifted twice!

Could this be as simple as screwed up rear brakes...ordoes it sound likesomething more $$$? Don't worry, I can handle it. I havealready endured a full front-end rebuild, engine swap, previous clutch job, springs & shackles,bodywork, and a few other goodies...that old girl works for a living!Justwondering if I should grab my oxygen maskbefore my mechanic calls me with the diagnosis!

Thanks!!

Old 03-09-2007, 02:27 PM
Default RE: '96 Ranger - Sounds like a rumble strip!

Good news! Well, I guess that depends on your viewpoint.

The left and right side brake cables were rubbed bare, the left side was extremely tight, and theshoes were almost at the rivets because of wear from the sticking.

Rear brake job, check the wheel cylinders, and a bath...she'll be good to go!

Hope this helps someone else out!