Ford Ranger The small pickup that has withstood the test of time offering pickup truck usefulness combined with an affordable price.

'99 Ranger heater core

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2006, 04:58 PM
Default '99 Ranger heater core

My son suspects his is leaking. He lives a few hours away and is coming to visit next weekend. Since he doesn't make a lot of money, I'll replace it for him while he's here if it's not a big deal. Anyone have a link to the proceedure so I can study a bit before he gets here? His truck is a v-6 automatic, ac, and pretty much loaded with options.

My experience with heater cores has been mixed, mostly gm. Some took just a short time because they were mounted on the outside of the firewall. Others seemed like they started the assembly process with the heater core, then built the vehicle around it. How big a job is it on this truck?

thanks

Old 08-13-2006, 05:49 PM
Default RE: '99 Ranger heater core

On my 94 ranger (with A/C) I removed the cover under the passengers side dash and it was right there. If you still want exact detail . I recomend a chilton's or hay's manual at most major auto part store's

Old 08-13-2006, 06:45 PM

Thanks 94. My son has a book of some kind. Doesn't do me much good from here. I almost always have good luck with car projects if I study a little ahead of time. From your desription it sounds like it's on the easy side anyway. Not even sure he has a problem yet.

He took it somewhere to have the oil changed yesterday, then when he picked it up, vapor blew out through the vents. Thought they must have done something to it. I said I couldn't imagine what they could have done during an oil change to damage the heater core. I could have sworn he told me this same story before when he had the oil changed. He doesn't remember that. He did tell me they shoot a hose around when they're done, I presume to wash the oil off whatever it splashed on when they drained it. I'm hoping that's all he's seeing and smelling. I told him to check under the carpet on the passenger side to see if it were wet. He hasn't gotten back to me on that yet.

Thanks again.

Old 08-13-2006, 08:01 PM

I think you will have good luck with this one. From what I rember it is easyer than a GM. I think it is probly the easyst one I have done.

Old 08-20-2006, 12:22 AM

Unfortunately, His '99 must be substantially different than your '94. Took a look at it today. At first glance, it looked like the heater core was part #1 and they built the truck around it. Went down to the library and found a chiltons manual with the proceedure which confirmed my worst fear. First step was pull the steering column in preperation of removing the entire dash. While I was doing that, my son called a couple shops he could get a hold of on Saturday and they told him it was pretty much an all day job on this vehicle for someone who'd done it before. I told him to get an estimate from a shop were he lives and see what they say. Burns my tail when they build things this way. GRRRRR!