Ford Ranger The small pickup that has withstood the test of time offering pickup truck usefulness combined with an affordable price.

Can't repair shop test for power steering leaks?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2007, 04:02 PM
Default Can't repair shop test for power steering leaks?

I have a 92' Ford Ranger with 2.9 V6 and 4WD. I have had 3 power steering repairs done within 2 months.

First, I had the pressure hose replaced. As soon as I get home, it is still leaking.

Second, I had the power steering pump/reservoir replaced. Again, it is leaking still as soon as I get home.

Third, I had the steering gear and another hose replaced. It looks like leaking finally is stopped.

It seems to me that they replaced part(s) needlessly while overlooking the component that was leaking. Or, they missed other defective parts and only did a partial repair job. Either way, I think this caused me to be charged excessive labor.

Why can't the mechanic test the whole system for leaks? I heard that they can run colored dye through the system to uncover leaks. The mechanic's explanation was that "it can be real hard to trace power steering fluid leaks." Basically, he implied that they can only guess and keep replacing parts till the leak stops.

Thanks,
Dave

Old 04-20-2007, 10:42 AM
Default RE: Can't repair shop test for power steering leaks?

yep sounds like a shop tech dont it. i have never takin my car into a shop ive been doing all my own car repairs since i was 14and bought my very first project car. im not sure if there is a real technical way to check for power steering leaks but i couldnt see paying someone to put a part on my car that didnt fix my problem id be heated..its bad enough they send you on a wild goose chase to begin with then they over charge for parts and kill on labor but in the end they dont seem to ever have a clue either. they think people actually got money to just start replaceing everything to do withapaticular system instead of just guessing the whole way. Seems to me if they get paid that much they should be able to tell you what it is you need an thats that, if they were wrong they better be willing to take the lose. if i ever did take my car to a shop id prolly have to go off on someone trying to come at me like i owe them for labor that produced no positive results. id be like you owe me for parts and if you wont that crap back you just installed needlessly then take it off and put the old stuff back on.. rip offs what else can i say !!!