Ford Ranger The small pickup that has withstood the test of time offering pickup truck usefulness combined with an affordable price.

how to polish

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2008, 09:44 PM
Default how to polish

Ihave a set of four 15" stock 12 holed aluminum rims with some corosion. I've stripped most of the clear coat off, but they just won't polish. I've heard that wet sanding helps, is this true?I would like to see good results, but not exaclty chrome-like results. Does anybody know any methods?

Old 04-16-2008, 10:26 AM
Default RE: how to polish

There lots of tools available to polish with.

Depending on how severe the corrosion is, a Dremel tool with a polishing wheel and polishing compound could work.
Also there is a lot of polishing compounds out there, and again this all depends on how deep the corrosion has penetrated into the metal.

Old 04-18-2008, 10:31 AM

Polishing Alum is normally not a one step process (unless your just polishing up previously polished surface)

To create polished surface you must start with wet sanding and keep going finer on the grit (higher number) until you have used the finest grit you can find (1500 or better) (The starting grit depends on the condition of the starting surface but for finished alum 400 to 600 should be a good start) then you can polish those scratches out with a Mother's type compound.
It's a lot of work and there are no shortcuts. (except power tools for the last phase as suggeted in an earlier post)

You have go through the whole process as you will never be able to buff 600 grit scratches out. But if you go all the way up to 2500 then the polishing process will be easier.

Old 06-28-2008, 09:36 PM

I used to work in a wash rack at a ford dealership i watched my boss take a pack off Kool Aid an he sprinkled a little on a rag an rubed like krazy an it pollished the rims rite up i was shocked it cant hurt to try you would be out 50cents.