Ford Ranger The small pickup that has withstood the test of time offering pickup truck usefulness combined with an affordable price.

A Lemon?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2005, 07:39 PM
Default A Lemon?

What is it with these Rangers? Three weeks ago, I bought my first Ford in over 10 years, a 98 Ranger Flareside 4 cyl 5 speed with 61,000 miles. Since then, every weekend has been spent working on this truck. First, the sway bar end link broke, then a front caliper locked up, got those fixed. Next weekend, the rear brakes were noisy, so I pulled the wheels, one of which was frozen and took an hour alone. Replaced the rear shoes which had one side completely worn out, replaced the springs. The wheel cylinders looked good, so I didnt replace them.......until the next weekend when one decided to spring a leak. Weekend three (this coming weeked), I get to replace the power steering pump, which is whining horribly and I have little or no power assist at low speeds. To top that all off, the second leaf on one rear sprins is broken, so thats another weekend in itself. The check engine light is on, low egr flow, so theres another part with my name on it.

I bought my GTP (2000)and my LeBaron convertible (1994) both new, and other than some performance mods on the GTP, I have worked on this truck more than I have both of them combined. I know that there are folks here who love their Fords, and I wont question your passion, but what the hell gives with this truck?

Sorry for the venting, but has anyone else had a low mileage Ranger with as many problems?

Old 05-07-2005, 06:02 PM
Default RE: A Lemon?

i own a 90 ranger with 312 kms on it,and last year i had work done on it,and since then i have not had any thing go wrong yet,except noisy valves

Old 05-09-2005, 04:46 PM

I've owned 4 Rangers and never had to many problems. Never even did brakes or clutch. Right now have a '96 120Km and the only thing I'm going to need is a tranny rebuild sometime soon. Truck may be looking for a new owner

Old 05-09-2005, 07:56 PM

only problem with my 90 ranger,the previous owner disconnected,the cig lighter,and the conncetion for the seat belt warning,till today,when i rehooked it up,now i just have to figure out how to connect the cig lighter.

Old 05-12-2005, 04:48 AM

I can definately relate!!! Since January, FOUR MONTHS, I have spent over $1,000.00 on my Ranger & here is my list!!!

1. Battery ($65.00).
2. Brake pads ($25.00).
3. Air filter ($12.00).
4. EGR valve ($45.00).
5. Ball joint ($95.00).
6. Shocks.
7. Springs ($45.00).
8. DPFE sensor ($60.00).
9. Suspension ($500.00).
10. Diagnostic testing @ my dealer ($70.00).
11. Carrier bearing ($60.00).
12. Drive shaft balance ($45.00).
13. Stereo ($170.00) - bad head unit and cassette didn't work!!!
14. Speakers ($50.00) - blown & sounded like CRAP!!!

And I could actually keep going but I don't have ALL of my receipts right in front of me. This truck only has 96,000 miles & I don't feel that it should be such a piece of crap!!! What's worse, it has a terrible vibration now and we have no idea why. We had the drive shaft balanced & changed the carrier bearing but it still vibrates when the gas peddle is pushed, doesn't vibrate when coasting. I am at a complete loss!!! I even took it to Ford & the mechanic there didn't have a clue!!! It cost me $67.00 for them to tell me I needed to change the DPFE sensor but couldn't figure out the terrible vibration - ANY SUGGESTIONS???

So, yes, I can relate!!! I HOPE our luck gets better!!!

Old 05-12-2005, 01:38 PM

Yellow stang,
Sounds like you did get a lemon.
The vibration, is the engine missing? or the problem maybe in the tranny.
Sound like it maybe time for a Toyoto [:-]

Old 05-13-2005, 02:38 AM

cctxfish,

The engine is not missing. The transmission is fine. I've tried avoid running from mechanic to mechanic but no matter who I talk to, everybody has a different idea about why we have this vibration. I've been told to take the front drive shaft out and see if that makes the vibration stop. Honestly, I don't think it will 'cause we put the rear end up on jacks, put the truck in gear, and gave it some gas and it still vibrated. At this point though, I am willing to try just about anything to figure it out. I've been to my dealer, a "joint & clutch" shop, my brother who is very mechanically inclined, other family members who are mechanically inclined, a friend who can usually fix just about anything, and our friend has had his mechanic friends look at it. Some say drive shaft, some say automatic hubs, some say tune up, etc. etc. etc.

We did just put a 4" lift/suspension on the truck so I imagine it is related to that but that just opens the door of opportunity for multiple, multiple possibilities. I think we have done enough now that if we can get the vibration mystery solved, the truck should be in good running order for a while but right now I am ready to drive it into the river!!!

Thanks for the suggestions but trust me, we've already covered those bases. Any other ideas??? [sm=bangbang.gif]

Old 05-14-2005, 07:21 PM

Lucky for me, this truck has the optional heated tailgate, so your hands dont get cold in the winter when you have to push it.

Old 05-16-2005, 08:16 PM

I like the heated tailgate idea LOL I'd use it on camping trips on cool nights

Y_stang, I'd try getting the tires balanced, Check rotors for any missing balancing wieghts, and same for dirve shafts. All else fells, get them balance.
Just letting you know I had a customers car that at curtain speeds the car would feel like an engine misfiring, but was the tranny.

Old 06-01-2005, 01:29 AM

I own a '91 Ranger 3.0V6 with over 310,000KM on it.

The only major work on it has been a leak in the brake line to the back of the truck.
One afternoon and less than $100 for new brake lines to the back cylinders, new pads
and drums, new cylinders and spring kit (since I had the brakes apart anyway, might
as well change them) put 'the old girl' back on the road.

Obvoiusly, this truck sounds like it was abused/ not well maintained before you got it.

Good luck with the truck and let's hope that the problems stop and the truck's reliabity
improves.

Quick Reply: A Lemon?