Ford Ranger The small pickup that has withstood the test of time offering pickup truck usefulness combined with an affordable price.

Looking to buy a Ford Ranger - Any Advice

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2007, 11:06 PM
Default Looking to buy a Ford Ranger - Any Advice

First of all, hey everyone!....I'm in the market for a Ford Ranger, and what to know what to look for & what are the better models. I'm looking at 2003 onwards....questions:

1. I want 4x4, but is it reliable, is it better to get 4x2?
2. Is the 3.0L V6 more efficient or the 4.0L V6? & what kind of milagecan I expect to get from a tank of gas?
3. Is there any things that I should look for that are inherent problems with Ford Rangers?
4. What are the transmissions like? is manual better than automatic? (I mean, what is better for lasting longer in the truck)
5. Is Flare side available after 2002?

I really appreciate any help anyone can give me & hopefully look forward to being a contributer in the future!!!!

Jimmy

Old 01-31-2007, 01:05 AM
Default RE: Looking to buy a Ford Ranger - Any Advice

1. I have only had my electronic 4x4 not work 1 time... and I think it was because it was 15 degrees outside. Other than that it's been great! You may want to get manual locking hubs as I've heard some of the electronic ones like to break.

2. I haven't had a 3.0L but I have a 4.0L v6 and I get about 15-17 mpg average. My trip to CA I got around 16-19 on I-5.

3. Depending on the year you get. I've had 2 alternators go out on my 96. If you get a manual make sure it's smooth.

4. I believe the manual transmission will last longer. Also if you're going to get a 3.0L definitely get a manual. You get a lot more pep out of the manuals.

5. Not sure.

I currently have 225k miles on my 96. It's still going strong. I've had to replace the clutch, had some EGR valve problems, and a wheel bearing go out. Other than that the truck is strong. I'd drive it across the country tomorrow.

Old 02-25-2007, 02:29 AM

I have a 2000 Ranger, that hasn't ever skipped a beat.
1. I agree withmigs647 I also to have never had any problems with my 4 wheel drive, and personally I think it's always smart to get the 4x4 when you have the option to.
2. My 2000 is a 3.0 V6, the tank size is 19.5 gallons, and I usually get about 160 miles a tank.
3. In my experiences with Rangers, i haven't had few if any problems. They are an all around good truck.
4. My trucks an automatic so speaking with limited experience in the matter I believe that the automatic system is nice but it all depends on what kind of driver you are and how you plan on using your truck.
5. I know that the 2003 model has that option on it. But as far as later years than that your guess is as good as mine.

Getting a Ranger is a good choice if you’re looking for a smaller truck that can still haul *** and be an all around good truck that will never fail you in the worst of worst driving conditions. Good luck purchasing and finding the right Ranger for you if you decide to go this route.

Old 02-26-2007, 07:21 PM

Ibought a 2002 Ranger Edge 4x2 3.0L Auto(Edge 2WD are left on 4WD stanse) in Aug 2006. I like the truck.
Bonues: Looks sharp, Handles verywell, good overall
Draw back: Should have been 4x4, 3.0L only gets 15/16mpg in city (northern NJ 15 miles from Tunnels) in does get 21/23mpg highway wil tonnue cover.I beleive that the 4.0 would get better city mileage due to more torque at lower RPM.
Something to get use to: 5 speed auto feels a little weird at first.
Let us know what you get and what you think.

Old 04-20-2007, 03:02 AM

i have a 94' 2.3L Ranger 2WD Ranger. Been as dependable as can be with the exception on one minor poblem im having now. I will never own anything other than a Ranger. I lve mine. If i were you, i'd get an 03' & up Ranger XLT (gotta have chrome), SuperCab 4-door(gotta have room), regular, bed (lets face it, aRanger's bed aint that big, and flareside dont help), 4X4 (gotta havego off road), Manual transmission (Manual has more more power with better gas mileage than an automatic). I tst drove one of these, that will be my next truck!Plus a Ranger can go lots of places a full size truck cant due to its perfect size and power.

Old 04-22-2007, 02:31 PM

I just bought an 02 ranger with 115k on it, and i love it. 4.0 hauls when you want to, but doesn't kill your back pocket like any v-8 will. Not sure on gas mileage, but seems around 15-20. I have the auto, i love 5speeds, but i needed a truck, and it seemed like a good deal. It has a little bit of a tranny slip, but its under warranty so im not too worried lol. electronic 4wd works great, wouldn't put it in going more than 10mph, but it works wonders when in the woods. id recommend buying an extended cab, as my friend has a standard cab, and i hate it. If you can get an edge where the back doors open as well, id recommend it, because it can be annoying to get back there. Overall i love my truck, and i think you would be very happy with a similar one.