Ford Ranger The small pickup that has withstood the test of time offering pickup truck usefulness combined with an affordable price.

New here need help please

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2008, 02:30 PM
Default New here need help please

I have a 2001 3.0L 2WD that has been having major issues lately. Its had a miss for about 3 weeks. We changed out the plugs twice, the wires, and the crankshaft sensor. The first code that came up was a misfire on the 3rd cylinder. That is when we changed the plugs and wires, then it showed the system running lean. Well, needless to say now my mpg sucks. I also now have no power going up the smallest of inclines. I don't know what to do now.[:@] I have been working on it every weekend. If anyone has any ideas of what could be going on I would greatly appreciate any help.
Thanks
AC

Old 03-17-2008, 03:16 PM
Default RE: New here need help please

check all the vacum lines and tubing and make sure there are no cracks or anything is disconnected. Look at teh PVC tubing as well and make sure it is pluged in and not cracked anywhere.

Old 03-17-2008, 03:27 PM

If you do not have any new codes popping up and the engine mis-fires above 2500 rpm only you may want to check the Syncro. I had a similar issue, I had changed plugs and wires as normal maintance and shortly after notice a miss that got progressively worse. The ECM is not programmed to monitor faults from the Cam position sensor over 2500 RPM, the TSB from Ford mentions monitoring the knock sensor. You will need to have a good software setup to test as Ford does..................... Good Luck............FYI......It seems to be a standard that the 3.0's mpg generally suckfor city/local driving.

Old 03-19-2008, 12:11 PM

Ok, so I think I might know what the problem is. I think my catalytic converter is clogged. My reasoning behind this. I was driving home from Autozone with my crankshaft sensor 2 of my vac hoses popped off. So I cable tied them back on the the truck started getting worse and sounding like it was struggling. Well, I called the guy that I bought it from and he is gonna have his Tow guy come by and pick it up and check it out for me. Thanks for all your help. I hope this works.[sm=smiley24.gif]

Old 03-21-2008, 01:35 PM

You say that the truck has no power and you have change the plugs and wires and no avail. did you see a problem with the plug you removed from the missing cylinder? Did it look like it was fuel fouled? Did you do a relative compression test on it? That is not as hard as you might think, no tools needed, not even opening the hood. Turn key on, push accel to floor and crank it. It should not start, as the "WOT" during crank shuts off the injectors. Do you hear any variation in the engine rpm. If not, then compression should be good. Look at the injector, with a long screwdriver, put on the suspect injector and listen to it and compare to another injector. Do you hear the metal tap as the injector seats? The cat should not set a misfire code, but an cat monitor code.

Old 03-21-2008, 01:36 PM

I forgot to add, did you check to see if the coil was firing that plug? You could have a coil with one dead tower.