Ford Ranger The small pickup that has withstood the test of time offering pickup truck usefulness combined with an affordable price.

Oil Gauge Needle

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2006, 03:35 PM
Default Oil Gauge Needle

Ok...

I bought my 2002 Ranger - extended cab 4X4 a few months ago... what a truck! I love it. So of course I screwed something up.... (typical)

I was working on my boat lights (just plugging them in didn't get it)... and I get the ole electrical WHACK! Blew a fuse of course... guess I touched something I shouldn't have...

Anyways, it was the fuse box beside the dash, so I saw it when the oil gauge needle spun all the way around. Now, the needle rests at bottom, and when I start the truck, it jumps up and pegs at the bottom of the peg.

Is there a way to get the needle spun back the other way? A way to reset it possibly?

If somoene can solve this, then I can go into the needle shaking/quivering/vibrating? after the truck ran a while.

Thanks in advance guys!

Old 03-11-2006, 01:54 AM
Default RE: Oil Gauge Needle

I too have a 2002 ranger extended cab with a oil gauge problem. now I did not do any thing to my truck to start it doing it's thing, but it was three year old when I got it so the first owner may have blew a fuse or something, my oil gauge also vibrates when I apply my brakes or go over a bad road, the local ford people have double checked the oil pressure and said that the truck has very good oil pressure, so I don't have an oil problem,they have also change out the sending unit, checked all wiring, even changed out the oil gauge after it spun around one day like someones head in a satantic movie and got it self hung up under the stop pin.so in changing out ever thing and checking all wiring it still does it thing about once a week. so may be someone will have and answer for us both

Old 03-22-2006, 03:19 PM

I have a 1999 Ranger. About one year ago my oil pressure guage began acting in this same eratic behavior. While driving down the road it would go from normal to jumping up and down really fast, tapping the bottom very rapidly then leveling out. Sometime it would drop completely for about 30 seconds.

I too have a Haynes manual and it does not list the wiring diagram, nor does it say anything about the oil pressure sending unit, which I purchased from Autozone this morning. I'll let you know if this fixes the issue, but I think it could be a wiring issue also. That wiring diagram would be nice!

John

Old 03-23-2006, 12:39 PM

Well, I could always get a new sender unit, but my fear is the needle will still be below the peg! My sender obviously is sending, as the needle goes from straight down wwhen off, then hit bottom of peg when I start the truck. I am not sure changing it would do any good.

I'd like to get to that gauge and push the needle back around... but getting into the dash was next to impossible....

ugh.

Old 04-01-2006, 02:30 AM

guys i need to ask ya's how long has your oil needle been doing this? And how many miles on your truck when you noticed it starting to act up?

When i bought my used 2002 4x4 ranger in 04 I had drove it to Florida and back from IL. It was not long after my trip that my oil needle started going ape sh*t! So I went to the dealership they replaced the sending unit, and about 8months later started again.....A mechanic tells me (the sending unit is not the problem, if they just replaced it) But that the oil pump maybe having issues! Low and behold...blew an enigine! Well the dealership tells me its my fault and now the warranty company Wont pay for it!

PLEASE keep me posted as I am working with my Lawyer against the warranty company, but seeing that you guys are having problems too......there maybe more to this.

I will let my Lawyer know that many people are having the same problem with the oil gauge! As i will also keep you's posted as to what he has to say.

Thanks for your input on all this
Deuce2wyld@yahoo.com

Old 04-02-2006, 03:14 AM

I have had both the sending unit and the oil gauge change out twice, Wynn's warrenty paid for the first one's and since it was still acting up I contacted Ford Motor Co and they had the dealer change both out again NO CHARGE TO ME , did not fix! it then they too , to get out from under the problem, also blew smoke up my *** about I had a bad oil pump, or possible a slip bearing, and Wynn's would not pay for it to be fixed untill I ok'ed them tearing down the engine at my expence ( Around $2800. ) to find out what the problem was and then Wynn's would pay for the repair only. gress who would still be out the ( $2800.00 ) and since I would not shell out that kind of money for them to go looking with no guarantee that it would fix the problem, and when I advised them that if it didn't I could guarantee they would have a law suite, they no longer wanted to even talk too me, and went so far as to suggest that I quickly trade it before the engine locked up. But not too them.as they ( the Ford dealer) did not want the problem, because they would have to fix it before they could unload it. The service rep at the dealer did suggest that going to a haveier oil may help, and to try 10w30 instead of 5w20 as it would not hurt the engine and may even help.. may be I'm wrong but I think this is something Ford should do more than say sorry, may be we can teach Ford how to say Class Action Law Suite. O by the way Ford has been working on thier problem with my truck serveral months and serveral hundard miles. ranger now at this time has 63000 miles on it, too few miles to be having these kind of problems.

Old 04-02-2006, 04:02 AM

It's Ford's problem, Not ours nor the warrentry companies, they did n't build the truck. neather did we. and if ford can not build a truck that wont even last a hundard thousand mile before you have major motor problems ( mine barely has half that) may be they should just shut thier doors and let the one's who can and do have thier business.

Old 04-02-2006, 04:49 AM

Anyone else care to go for a Class Action Law Suite, I will be calling my Lawyer on Monday to inform him of the same issues other people are having.

My 2002 4x4 3.0 had 58,000 miles on it when the engine LOCKED up and that was all she wrote! Well 3months later and 4500$ I got my truck back at my cost!

Anyone wishing to contact me reguarding this can find me on yahoo messenger (free chat service, just go to yahoo's home page and load it from there) at Deuce2wyld.......or can email me through this site

Thanks for your time and consideration as I believe Ford shall be held responsible
Deuces

Old 04-02-2006, 05:14 AM

Ahh, let me update on my truck, and if anyone else has any info as to what could be the cause it would be greatly appreciated.

when i got it in 2004 being a 02, i was very happy with the purchase, pitched my harley in the back and headed to florida for vacation. I got 18miles to the gal. which i thought was great, means i had my bike in the back! Now just hours before the engine blew, i had noticed that my truck had only got 70miles to a HALF a tank of gas! I thought maybe i got some really bad gas. Then i realized the truck had bigger problems than i knew about. (being that the engine sezied up)! Well when i got a new engine and picked it up from the dealership, I was very excited. It had been 3months since i'd even seen the truck! The truck had less than a 1/4 tank...so i filled it up and headed back to the windy city of Chicago. I'd be damed if i didnt make it 75 miles and i had already gone through a Half a tank of gas AGAIN! Thinking it was old gas at the bottom of tank and again maybe i bought bad gas.

Well now my truck still only gets about 10 maybe and just maybe 12mpg.! I dont drive this truck over 65mph, good god trying to save on gas mileage but nothing i do seems to get me any better gas mileage.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.........Part of me believes it has something to do with the fact that the engine locked up, cause i used to get any where from 16 to 18mpg. and those days are gone! Doesnt matter which grade of gas i put in the truck it all gets the same gas mileage!

Deuces

Old 04-04-2006, 12:40 AM

After the local ford dealer kept my ranger for four days,last week , not counting all the times before and telling me that I probably would lose the motor just a matter of time, but for me to change the oil out to a 10w30, which I did, that day. (now up date) the engine is running quiter, the oil gauge is behaving, even when I tried to make it act up.and I have put just over a hundard thirdy mile since the oil change, in condidions that in the past would have made the gauge all but come out of the dash.I'm not saying that mine is fixed by no means,and I still may lose my engine, because of all the miles that was put on mined with the wrong weight oil, 5w20 . FORD still owes us all an engine, and I thank they should have to fix any and all oil gauge problems, engines problems are any thing else that was damage by a light oil. I was advice by someone who asked to remain nameless that ford went to the 5w20 oil with our models, and that is why we are having trouble is because the oil is too light. So try 10w30 and see if it helps, after all what have you got to lose, and ford looks like they could care less.