Ford Ranger The small pickup that has withstood the test of time offering pickup truck usefulness combined with an affordable price.

truck leans

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2009, 11:27 AM
Question truck leans

I have an 03 Ranger. I noticed I have a slight lean when looking at my vehicle from the back. As if the vehicle is on a slight incline. The passenger side leans ONLY when looking from the back. From the front, You cannot see it. I have parked in different lots and areas and it is consistent. The left rear tire seems higher than the other three. The all have about the same gap between the top of the wheel to the wheel well. The left rear wheel has about a couple inches MORE clearance than the others. The truck doesn't pull and it seems to not have an effect on gas mileage or anything. It drives normally, but since I noticed it, my OCD has gone fullbore and I really don't want to take it into a shop if I don't need to, especially if there is a way to level it out. Does anyone else have this issue and if so, how did you correct it, or did you have to take it into a shop to have it done? Does this lean put extra stress on the frame?

Old 04-09-2009, 11:57 AM

If you are sure that it leans, check leaf packs for cracked springs and bed mounts for damage. But to be sure you are not seeing an illustion measure the heights. Front left and right from garage floor to frame and center of wheel well. and the same for the rear to determine an true difference.

Old 04-14-2009, 10:28 AM

Yes, It leans alright. I measured it all the way around. The driver's side is higher by 3/4 inch. It is consistent on the front as well. For some reason, I cannot detect it visually when looking from the front. Now after taking measurements, I can see it from the front as well. The axles don't lean, tires were recently filled to uniform pressure recommended. Everything seems to be good visually... springs, shocks, mounts, tires, whatever. I first thought the fuel tank being almost empty may have had something to do with it, but full or not, it still leans. From frame to wheel center, it is dead on consistent. I haven't measured the frame to ground, but from the rear axle to the ground, it is the same. I have heard of "Ranger Lean", but it sounds like with that, the driver's side is lower. On mine, it is the passenger side which is lower. I have heard mention of adjusting the torsion bars fixes it, but I don't want to go messing with things I am not familiar with and I don't think that would fix the rear. The truck drives fine. Doesn't pull to one side or another... drives straight as an arrow. Any ideas on how to adjust it out?

Old 04-19-2009, 11:42 PM

what kint od alignment adjustments do you have on the rear? your caster could be off on the right rear but if that is it i would say take it to an alingment shop doing it on the ground with out a computer to give a live feed of specs can make it really hard to adjust.