Ford Taurus The long running mid sized sedan offering sure footed front wheel drive and a roomy interior.

04 Taurus, effect after compressor broken

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2007, 11:04 AM
Default 04 Taurus, effect after compressor broken

2004 Ford taurus with some noise when start the heater.

Technician said the probalem is AC compressor. The salesman said if the compressor is broken, the belt will run but the pulley stops. So the belt will be overheat,and will break eventually. When the belt is broken into two.Many systems in the car will be down, such as the water cooling, power steering, the lubricating, ....

Is it that serious, or what I think is when the compressor is down, I will still have heating but I lose A/C for cooling.

Thanks for comments.

Old 12-18-2007, 05:20 PM
Default RE: 04 Taurus, effect after compressor broken

I have a 98 Taurus 24-valve Duratec motor. At 42,000 miles (2002) the engine was making a noise somewhere near the top and front of the motor. At first, I thought it had a collasped valve lifter. Finally, I removed the Serpentine Belt and started the motor. No noise. I purchased a new belt and now have 83,000 miles and no nosie.
How many miles on the engine?
What engine?
I purchased my car new.

Old 12-18-2007, 05:36 PM

If you have the heat on, the a/c compressor does not come into ploay. All it does is acts like an idler pully. You might want a second opinion on this problem. More than likely it is just a belt noise or possibly an idler pulley or tensioner making the noise. Good luck and keep us informed.

Old 12-18-2007, 07:49 PM

The heater problem is:colder the car, more likely the noise comes out when I start the car. Once the car is warmed up. it is less ilkely the noise.

The Bloomington Ford (IN)sucks.they suggest me to change both a/c compressor and serpentine belt. They want to charge me30% more than the MSRP price on the parts, whichI can getonline with 50% of the MSRP price.

Besides, this afternoon when I refused thatthey replace the compressor and the serpentine belt. They felt me with my car's engine service light onafter the car started (the light is dark whenwhen I left my car there in the morning). I asked the salesman. He told me because the technician checked the IAC valve, and could be fixed tomorrow. I asked why not now, he told me because technician left 5PM. I was there about 5:30PM. I asked whether it is safe to drive home with engine light on. He told me yes. I guessthat is a absolute lie.

Tomorrow, I will have them fixed the engine light and go.

Do you think they will refuse to admit that they made the light when I go back tomorrow morning.

Old 12-19-2007, 09:44 PM

They fixed my engine light this morning. I changed the serpentine belt today and noise is reduced but yet there. So I order the A/C compressor and IAC valve from online web site. There are both motorcraft brandand with 12 month and 12,000 mile war.

The following is what I have done this time andI needrememberfor the future:

Once findthe car sound/sell abnormal, go to the dealer and pay them to check up ASAP. There are two advantages for doing so. First, you can minimize the cost, the total cost, if there is a problem. Most problems can be checked outwithin $79. The dealer usually will do a fairly good job for the checkup, because they know problems mean business. Second.If you have timecheck their quote price online by yourself before you say yes. You need to have time and knowledge about where to find the product. The time is issue is different from person to person. The knowledge is about ... I do not know how to say it. This is a way to showwho is samrter in a game. Beside the time and knowledge, we can afford to do this becausethe problems are in their early stage. Once we do not agree their price, we still have options to drive away. If your car is twoed in, you have no cards to play. I have been with this dealer for more than 2 years since we moved here, everytime I pay what they quote. No question asked. But this time I do have some spare time to kill. So Icheck theirquote on the internet.Believe me, I was a nebie in auto parts. I did not even know what is the bearing and serpentine belt in the first palce. After about one day study, I could find a part for my Ford within 10 minutes, with another 10 minutes, I canplace an order. For three parts, I spent$316 to get them and they quote me $558. This is 76% markup.I also check their quote with three other Ford dealers nearby. B-town Ford is about $100 more expensive than the rest three.Four dealers are in the same situation, not in stock need to order.

My internet order will come in Friday, and I will update the results to see the service of the online dealer and my ford dealer. BTW, from the service I got so far, it is pretty good. I called to ask two questions.One is about where to finda product, and the second one isshipping speed. Both salesmenvery effectively answer my question. I would give them9in 1-10 if10 is the best.the online dealer is www.rockauto.com

Old 12-20-2007, 11:34 AM

You could also check theis website....

Old 06-26-2011, 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by mzyzhu

My internet order will come in Friday, and I will update the results to see the service of the online dealer and my ford dealer. BTW, from the service I got so far, it is pretty good. I called to ask two questions.One is about where to finda product, and the second one isshipping speed. Both salesmenvery effectively answer my question. I would give them9in 1-10 if10 is the best.the online dealer is www.rockauto.com
So did what was the result?

Old 07-05-2011, 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by mzyzhu
They fixed my engine light this morning. I changed the serpentine belt today and noise is reduced but yet there. So I order the A/C compressor and IAC valve from online web site. There are both motorcraft brandand with 12 month and 12,000 mile war.

The following is what I have done this time andI needrememberfor the future:

Once findthe car hid headlights sound/sell abnormal, go to the dealer and pay them to check up ASAP. There are two advantages for doing so. First, you can minimize the cost, the total cost, if there is a problem. Most problems can be checked outwithin $79. The dealer usually will do a fairly good job for the checkup, because they know problems mean business. Second.If you have timecheck their quote price online by yourself before you say yes. You need to have time and knowledge about where to find the product. The time is issue is different from person to person. The knowledge is about ... I do not know how to say it. This is a way to showwho is samrter in a game. Beside the time and knowledge, we can afford to do this becausethe problems are in their early stage. Once we do not agree their price, we still have options to drive away. If your car is twoed in, you have no cards to play. I have been with this dealer for more than 2 years since we moved here, everytime I pay what they quote. No question asked. But this time I do have some spare time to kill. So Icheck theirquote on the internet.Believe me, I was a nebie in auto parts. I did not even know what is the bearing and serpentine belt in the first palce. After about one day study, I could find a part for my Ford hid kits within 10 minutes, with another 10 minutes, I canplace an order. For three parts, I spent$316 to get them and they quote me $558. This is 76% markup.I also check their quote with three other Ford dealers nearby. B-town Ford is about $100 more expensive than the rest three.Four dealers are in the same situation, not in stock need to order.

Any updates on this?

Old 08-03-2011, 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by Oare9000
Any updates on this?
I could not follow the technical side of what mzyzhu was talking about. There are at least 4 bearings on the serpentine belt system, and idler pulley, the belt tensioner, the water-pump, the alternator and the AC compressor pulley. I have fixed all of them on different vehicles at one time or another. Even the AC compressor pulley, which is only about $20 if you press it out of the pulley.