Ford Taurus The long running mid sized sedan offering sure footed front wheel drive and a roomy interior.

1994 Ford Taurus Transmission Problem, please help!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2007, 08:43 PM
Default 1994 Ford Taurus Transmission Problem, please help!!

Hi, I have recently bought a used 1994 Ford Taurus LX Wagon with a 3.8 engine, and the transmission code on it is AX4S. When first bought, the car would shift a little hard from 1st to second, but not always. Previous owner told me about it, and they had been driving it that way for a long time. It appromately has about 173,000 miles on it. The engine is strong, and blows no smoke, and everything else works on the car. All the sudden coming off an exit ramp, it would only go into 1st and 2nd, will not go into third, or overdrive.It's not redlining, but maybe that's because i'm afaid to push it. the engine light came on shortly, then went off, after I parked it and let it sit for a while. I really have a few questions, and if anyone could help I'd really really appreciate it..
1.) Is there a way to check for codes using the engine light, and turning off and on the igination switch. I know I need to take it to autozone to get codes read, but i'm afraid to drive it 20 miles with it only in second gear. 2.) I keep reading about vehicle speed sensor and transmission range sensor and MAF sensor, I know the Fluid levels' ok. Should I try one of these first? Instead of taking to a tranny shop? I live in a rural area when everything 30 minutes away, and I don't want to mess up the engine by trying to drive it real far in second gear. Any help at all I would really appreciate it. Thank you

Old 04-06-2007, 02:03 PM
Default RE: 1994 Ford Taurus Transmission Problem, please help!!

Not to throw a scare out there, but your tranny may be on it's way out. The AX4S was a problem child. FORD kept redesigning the forward clutch piston, but always built it from aluminum. Finally, they resolved the issue by making it out of steel in late 1985. With 173,00 miles (if the original tranny), thats very good. These would trash out between 36K-70K miles. The one on my 1985 Sable made it to 105K before losing forward motion. Stopped at a toll both on the interstate. It didn't want to move, then started. Shifted 1st, 2nd and long delay before D with no OD engagement. Drove to my folks home and pulled into the driveway. There it sat with nothing. My tranny blew it guts. Forward clutch piston (aluminum) was in a few pieces. This was in 2002. I had an AAMCO rebuild put in for about $1,000. Ran the card for another 2 years before selling it with 138,000 miles on it. The folks I sold it to still run it. Last time I talked to the owners, they have over 200,000 miles problem free on it as they are retired and travel everywhere with it. You problem could just be electrical. Good luck.