Ford Taurus The long running mid sized sedan offering sure footed front wheel drive and a roomy interior.

2003 Taurus stalling

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2007, 08:24 AM
Default 2003 Taurus stalling

For a couple of months, my 2003 Taurus (96k)will start fine in the morning, I'll drive30 miles to work (mostly highway), stop at the entrance ofa parking garage, and then, whileslowly proceedingdown a spiralling ramp (coasting or with a little gas), the engine cuts off (usually at the sharpest part of a turn). I pop it in neutral and it usually starts the first time but a few times it's taken 3 or 4 attempts. I can avoid the stalling by giving it more gas than I want/need to on the turns. Yesterday, for the first time, I had driven about 30 highway miles and was just stopped at a light. When I gave it gas to go, it stalled and wouldn't startforabout 90 seconds (seemed like an eternity). Any ideas? There are no codes. I have the 3.0L Vulcan engine; auto trans,

Old 12-15-2012, 10:22 PM
dnt

The reason that I joined today is to let you guys know how to fix this very frustrating vehicle computer reset problem. I fought the random crazy dash lights and stalling issue for over a year on a 2003 Taurus SES. IT IS A BAD DIODE IN YOUR ALTERNATOR Trust me on this. Replace the alternator. I did not want to post until I knew 100% this was it and after 12 months with no problems I can safely say that it is 100% fixed. I hope this helps I know that some people will still be skeptical as they have fought the problem for so long but if you replace the alternator and the problem continues then you have replaced with a alternator that also has a bad diode. The Guy at the local Autozone store found it with the store tester. I had been having it tested at Advance Auto parts and their machine did not show the bad diode. I wish I had written down the tester model for you sorry. I would go to several different stores and have them test for a bad diode in your alternator!! I searched for many hours on sites like this and NEVER found the definitive answer so here you go REPLACE THE ALTERNATOR and then have it tested to make darn sure you got a good alternator. Good Luck