Ford Taurus The long running mid sized sedan offering sure footed front wheel drive and a roomy interior.

3.0 S.Cam, loss of oil pressure

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2008, 06:24 PM
Default 3.0 S.Cam, loss of oil pressure

hello, i,ve experienced a sudden loss of oil pressure in a 3.0 single cam,, 1996 Taurus.
must have some pressure, just tappet noise, any suggestions as to common cause related to this model and repair required, i.e oil pump failure ????

not a ford fimilar guy so I don,t know what the driving mech for the pump is, cam gear ?.

HELP[&o][&o]

Old 10-16-2008, 08:16 PM
Default RE: 3.0 S.Cam, loss of oil pressure

ORIGINAL: billiboy

hello, i,ve experienced a sudden loss of oil pressure in a 3.0 single cam,, 1996 Taurus.
must have some pressure, just tappet noise, any suggestions as to common cause related to this model and repair required, i.e oil pump failure ????

not a ford fimilar guy so I don,t know what the driving mech for the pump is, cam gear ?.

HELP[&o][&o]

[sm=boohoo.gif]

Hello and good day:

CAUSES OF LOW OIL PRESSURE
In a high mileage engine, low oil pressure is often due to a combination of worn main and rod bearings and crankshaft journals. The oil pump itself does not create pressure. It produces flow and the resistance to that flow produces pressure. Resistance is created by the orifices in the engine block through which the oil flows, and the amount of clearance between the bearings and crankshaft journals. As the bearings wear, clearances increase allowing increased flow which reduces pressure.

Okay, so you already knew that. But what you may not realize is that it doesn't take much of an increase in bearing clearances to cause a noticeable drop in oil pressure as well as noise. This applies to brand new engines as well as high mileage ones.
Excessive bearing clearances (more than about .001 inch per inch of diameter of the crankshaft journal) can cause up to a 20 percent or greater drop in oil pressure, which may in turn have an adverse effect on lubrication elsewhere in the engine (such as the camshaft and upper valve-train, especially in overhead cam engines). Whether the excessive clearances are due to normal wear or "loose" assembly tolerances makes no difference because the end result is exactly the same. Excessive bearing clearances will also increase engine noise and pounding, which over time can lead to bearing fatigue and failure
by Larry Carley c2008

[sm=americanasmiley.gif]I hope this may help you....and good luck.