Ford Taurus The long running mid sized sedan offering sure footed front wheel drive and a roomy interior.

'97 Sable electrical & washer pump problems

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2005, 11:01 PM
Default '97 Sable electrical & washer pump problems

Bump! Please help me here guys....I really need to get this fixed. Can any one offer advice on what the Generic Electronic Module does? Do these cars have any history of these kind of troubles? My wallet can't afford the dealerships rates. Please see below for the original thread......

Hi guys/gals: New guy here. This is a copy of the thread I posted on Hotrodders.com. I figured I'd see out a more specific site.....

I have a one of those Monday built-electrical lemon cars....I'm trying to fix what a couple of mechanics can't. Please be patient because I'm going to try to list most of the problems which routinely plague this car as they may be relevant to each other (guessing)

Here is a mini history of all the problems we have had:

* Washer pump operates only out of the blue
* Wipers don't automatically kick in when you call for washer fluid. - Upon the above items happening, I checked the pump with a direct wire from the batt...sprayed fluid nearly clear over the car. Replaced the multi function switch just to have the same problem months later.
* Rear window washer pump works at random - sometimes the wipers will kick in but without juice
* Car bucks and surges (total elec. failure) for split seconds at any speed - sometimes stalling upon stopping (Winter months only, doesn't seem to be a damp weather thing)
* Service engine light comes on and off periodically. - changed more sensors than I care to just to happen again weeks later.

I have had at least 5 washer pumps and one multi function switch replaced. I need to fix this problem for good before I get to the others....winters coming, wife needs reliability and safety.

The schematic in the Haynes (useless) manual shows a "Generic Electronic Module" and a "washer motor relay". Could one of these be the problem? (Don't even know where to find these.) Because the wipers are supposed to kick in when you press the pump button, could there be a problem in the wiper motor? The ground on the washer pump itself is OK.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated..

Thanks,

Gear
Edit/Delete Message