Ford Taurus The long running mid sized sedan offering sure footed front wheel drive and a roomy interior.

AC Bypass Pulley

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2009, 07:34 AM
Default AC Bypass Pulley

1999 Taurus with 3.0L V6 DOHC. Any experience installing an A/C bypass pulley? Does the compressor need to come out? If so, any suggestions on the best way to accomplish this?

Old 01-06-2009, 09:43 PM
Default RE: AC Bypass Pulley

ORIGINAL: dosnotches

1999 Taurus with 3.0L V6 DOHC. Any experience installing an A/C bypass pulley? Does the compressor need to come out? If so, any suggestions on the best way to accomplish this?

Hello and good day to you:

Is the Pullyspinning free right now?

If it is, disconnect the electrical connector going to the Compressor clutch coil. That way, the clutch won't engage and the pulley should freewheel just fine, no matter what HVAC setting you use.

Why don't you just replace the a/c clutch assembly Parts
cost should be under $100. It can be change by removing the
RF wheel and inner fender liner. Remove the belt and go to
it. You do not need to remove the compressor or discharge
the system to do this. Have you not inquired as to the cost
of simply replacing the clutch. This job can be done in
about an hour once the car is secured on solid supports to
remove the wheel. You will need intermediate mechanical
ability and a few tools. Most of the clutches are pulled
using a bolt of the correct thread in the center. Follow
the instructions in the new part package to replace and
adjust.

BTW, this won't be any more trouble than installing an idler
pulley in the place of the compressor.

Odds are the ac compressor is not bad. What has probably happened is that the ac clutch pulley bearings went bad and the wobbling pulley cut into the ac clutch coil winding and eventually seized against the ac clutch coil.

To fix the ac system what you probably need is a new ac clutch set (magnetic clutch plate, ac clutch pulley with bearings, and ac clutch coil). Cost would be $135-$250.

A used complete ac compressor would be less expensive to buy ($25-$50), but would be more expensive to install (since you will lose the refrigerant charge, and will need an ac manifold gauge set, and a vacuum pump to refill). You could get the tools to refill from an auto parts store with a free tool loan program. I noticed that Autozone as a vacuum pump in the tool loan program.

What you could do is remove enough fasteners and brackets to drop the ac compressor out, remove the ac clutch pulley, magnetic plate, and clutch coil, reinstall the compressor, then return the ac delete pulley, and get a short belt instead. [/align]

Old 01-07-2009, 01:37 PM
Default RE: AC Bypass Pulley

Thanks. The pulley does not spin at all. I ordered a new pulley/clutch assembly. I'll have to look again, but I think the frame impedes my ability to go through the wheel well and get to the compressor.