Ford Taurus The long running mid sized sedan offering sure footed front wheel drive and a roomy interior.

First Front end alignment on '02 SE

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2005, 01:56 PM
Default First Front end alignment on '02 SE

Hello all. What a great site!

I recently went to get a 4 wheel alignment for my 2002 Taurus SE. I recently had a new set of tires put on and thought it was a good idea.

I was told that beyond the normal fee that there would be additional labor due to the fact that Ford had chosen to set the Alignment by design. In other words there was no built in adjustment and they would have to drill out a hole in order to have anything to adjust. (This is my understanding of what the mechanic had to say.) As this was going to quadruple the price I decided to find out a thing or two.

I bought the thing used. I don't know if it had the original tires, but they where Conner, so probably. It also implies that an alignment has never been done.

Any advice is appreciated. Also please let me know if more information would help. I think I have all the important details.

Old 03-07-2006, 01:17 PM
Default RE: First Front end alignment on '02 SE

I have an 04 and I was told the same thing. I talked to the dealer and several front end mechanics and they said that it was true. The holes have to be drilled in order to be adjusted. My problem is that my mechanic is telling me that mine can't be adjusted the right way because the strut is adjusted as far as it will go. They are telling me that I may have a problem that came from the factory. Have you ever heard of this?

Old 03-07-2006, 06:12 PM
Default RE: First Front end alignment on '02 SE

Never heard of that. Sorry.

Old 11-24-2013, 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by 2verb
Hello all. What a great site!

I recently went to get a 4 wheel alignment for my 2002 Taurus SE. I recently had a new set of tires put on and thought it was a good idea.

I was told that beyond the normal fee that there would be additional labor due to the fact that Ford had chosen to set the Alignment by design. In other words there was no built in adjustment and they would have to drill out a hole in order to have anything to adjust. (This is my understanding of what the mechanic had to say.) As this was going to quadruple the price I decided to find out a thing or two.

I bought the thing used. I don't know if it had the original tires, but they where Conner, so probably. It also implies that an alignment has never been done.

Any advice is appreciated. Also please let me know if more information would help. I think I have all the important details.

"Where do they drill the hole"????

Old 11-27-2013, 05:23 AM

They have to drill the spot welds out on the strut tower so that the top plate can be repositioned. You could get an adjustment kit from JEGS or anywhere else you want if your going to keep the vehicle for some time and have it installed.

Moog K8990 - Free Shipping on All Orders @ JEGS

Old 01-06-2014, 08:37 PM

Originally Posted by Use Common Sense
They have to drill the spot welds out on the strut tower so that the top plate can be repositioned. You could get an adjustment kit from JEGS or anywhere else you want if your going to keep the vehicle for some time and have it installed.

Moog K8990 - Free Shipping on All Orders @ JEGS
What if I drill out the spot welds??
I saw them on the top of the Strut Tower.
Im currently using my Taurus, I just dont want my
tires wearing out.

Old 01-06-2014, 11:22 PM

You should be able to drill the spot welds out, reposition your struts for the proper camber and then I would drill three holes in a triangle position and put either self-tapping screw in the three holes, or bolts. Either would work. Just make sure your holes are thru both the tower and strut plate.

Old 01-07-2014, 11:32 PM

Originally Posted by Use Common Sense
You should be able to drill the spot welds out, reposition your struts for the proper camber and then I would drill three holes in a triangle position and put either self-tapping screw in the three holes, or bolts. Either would work. Just make sure your holes are thru both the tower and strut plate.

Thank you Sir, I will follow your advice.