Ford Taurus The long running mid sized sedan offering sure footed front wheel drive and a roomy interior.

fumes inside car

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2006, 10:40 PM
Default fumes inside car

I bought a 99 Taurus se from a dealer on oct 7th and right from the first day I have had this problem. I have to drive it either with the windows down to use the a/c or just not have the a/c on at all. Now that its gotton cooler I have found I have the same problem with the heat too. It has some kind of fumes/odor smell inside the car, its so bad it gives me a headache and I actually avoid driving it. I took it back to the dealer 3 days later and got him to sit inside the vehicle, of course he denies there being any problem and had the audacity to suggest it was car cleaner. Now Im stuck with a car I cant even drive. Has anyone else had this problem or can suggest a remody. I paid $3887 cash and thought I was buying from a reputable dealer, but I guess I was wrong. It will be 4 weeks since purchasing this car on Saturday Nov 4 and they as far as I know have 30 days to get the title to me but I still feel they either need to refund my money or fix the car because they sold it in an unroadworthy state. Yes I did buy it without warranty but isnt there exceptions to this rule and shouldnt this dealer show some responsibility.
Please help Im desperate.[]

Old 10-24-2006, 01:04 AM
Default RE: fumes inside car

I would think it is a gas smell coming from the engine.[hr]I would have it looked at by another mechanic it is possible there is a crack in the fuel rail alowing gas to drip on the engine.

Old 10-24-2006, 11:38 PM
Default RE: fumes inside car

I would not jump to the conclusion of leaking fuel on the engine. That is quite drastic. Fumes are usually caused in the drivers cabin by cracks or leaks in the exhaust system. That is the #1 reason for fumes in the cabin. Get the system checked out by a reputible mechanic. I own a shop in Coldwater Michigan and when we diagnose exhaust leaks, we take a rag or two and block the tail pipe with them while the engine is running. If pressure builds up and it begins to warm your hands, the system is sealed and working properly. If you are able to stop the exhaust from comming out of the tail pipe that means it is escaping somewhere else. Have someone lift the car up in the air and perform that test. It takes but 5 minutes and most shops do it for free.