Ford Taurus The long running mid sized sedan offering sure footed front wheel drive and a roomy interior.

Need help with windshield wiper problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2008, 09:46 PM
Default Need help with windshield wiper problem

I own a 96, Ford Taurus and the wipers stopped working a few days ago.

I replaced the motor and switch, but now the wipers only work on "High" position. Also, the wipers keep running with switch on "Off" position, and to stop them, I have to pull out a fuse or switch engine off.

I did some research and was told that the problem may be with the Wiper Control Module (or GMC module). Were is this located on the car?? Also, the Ford dealership is quoting me $300!!! for a brand new Module. Is it safe to get one at a used parts yard?

Please help.

Old 04-14-2022, 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by msting
I own a 96, Ford Taurus and the wipers stopped working a few days ago.

I replaced the motor and switch, but now the wipers only work on "High" position. Also, the wipers keep running with switch on "Off" position, and to stop them, I have to pull out a fuse or switch engine off.

I did some research and was told that the problem may be with the Wiper Control Module (or GMC module). Were is this located on the car?? Also, the Ford dealership is quoting me $300!!! for a brand new Module. Is it safe to get one at a used parts yard?

Please help.
I just got one on Amazon for $165.00

Old 04-15-2022, 05:10 PM

Many times crazy wiper problems are caused by a poor ground for the wiper motor assy. A good part of the time the ground is taken from the firewall and sometimes it might use the wiper motor mounting, you might see a ground connection at one of the motor mounting screws. The one that comes from the sheet metal might be located on the firewall on the driver's side. One way to verify if that is the cause of the problem is to just take a jumper wire from the battery negative terminal to the wiper motor body. If the problem goes away you found the cause.