Ford Thunderbird Starting in the 1950s, this was a classic American sports cars, from the compact original of the 1950s, to the muscular hard top coupes of the 1980s and 1990s to the retro look of the 2003 model year, this car is, and always will be, an American classic.

Detonation problem 97 T-Bird with 4.6 V-8

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2005, 05:30 PM
Default RE: Detonation problem 97 T-Bird with 4.6 V-8

Chapter 3 - after driving on longer trip, SES light came back on. A suggestion on another forum was that replacing plugs with genuine 4d plugs would solve the problem. Back in the shop today, and replaced all spark plugs with Autolite (plugs that came out were Motorcraft with about 17,000 miles on them.) Rechecked for vacuum leaks and none found. Checked EGR for proper operation and found OK. PCv checked and found OK. We have checked virtually everything on the computer diagnostic list for this code. Oil overfill and oil dipstick not seated are 2 of the diagnostic checks for this code. Drained oil and replaced with 5W30 Amsoil (previous owner used 0W30). Made sure the oil was not overfilled and dipstick seated properly. A few other checks made that I forget.

Still pinging though not quite as bad, but then again it gets worse when it is hot. Next week, the shop is getting a new piece of equipment that will clean intake, manifold and injectors, and my mechanic volunteered my car as the demo to see how well this new machine works - I only have to pay for the materials.

Any other ideas?

I was really hoping that changing the spark plugs would do the trick, but...

Old 08-09-2005, 05:32 PM

I see I made a typo on one of my prior posts. The trouble code is PO174, not 134 like I typed a few posts back. Must'a had a few Millers in me then.

Old 08-09-2005, 05:54 PM

P0174 System too Lean (Bank 2)
P0134 O2 Sensor Circuit No Activity Detected (Bank 1 Sensor 1)

My guess is that O2 sensor 1 bank 2 is always showing lean or a < 0.4V. This may cause the computer to compensate with more fuel, and not see a change in sensor output, causing the code. This lean condistion may also cause computer to advance ignition timing causing your pinging.

Old 08-10-2005, 12:12 AM

It seems the problem may be caused by the O2 sensor (of which I understand there are only 4 of them). I guess that will be the next thing we try if the cleaning of the intake and haeds doesnlt seem to help.

I was an OK shade tree mechanic but I lost touch with all of these computer controls, but I had a sneaking suspicion about the O2 sensors from the beginning.

Will stay in touch and keep everyone informed. Hopefully it will be fixed soon.

Old 08-30-2005, 10:36 PM

Next chapter - next trip to my local garage, we had the injector system cleaned using BG chemicals (I forget the names of the materials), flushed the transmission and cooling system (the last two just routine maintenance - nothing to do with pinging) and replaced one of the O2 sensors. After that, it seems the pinging got worse.

So I finally caught up with a friend's son, Lee, who works at a local 4d dealer and he checked the car with a 4d scanner. It indicated the mass air flow sensor was bad, even though it had been replaced by the former owner about 10-12,000 miles back. (maybe the former owner was having the same problem). The scanner was reading the car's system of baromtric pressure reading at 128 and it should have been 156 which Lee says will cause the system to run lean. ANyway, the MAF costs something like $325 to replace plus the $120 the dealer would charge to use the scanner, so Lee is going to do the job on the side. He thinks he has a spare we can try with having to buy one to see if that will solve the problem.

Next chapter:

After having the T'Chicken scanned at dealer last Tuesday, I drove it to Western MD (400 miles round trip) on Thursday and around home Friday and Saturday. Got in this morning (Tuesday) and it would start but not run. FInally gave up and jumped in the trusty old AStro and headed out for 250 mile trip. (Ironically I bought the "chicken" to save mileage on the Astro.) Called Lee and he had no clue what was going on except to say the mass air flow sensor would not prevent the engine from running.

When I got home, I futzed arouund a little with it and still could not get the engine to run. Then I disconnected the MAF and the SOB started right up and ran like a charm. When I plugged in the MAF the engine immediately stalled (3 times in a row.)

GD computers - it used to be a normal person could work on a motor vehicle.

Next stop - new MAF and read out of computer signal.

Any suggestions???

Old 08-31-2005, 03:42 PM

[sm=signs003.gif]

Old 09-02-2005, 11:31 AM

As I stated in the first post that I made, Check the BARO !!! I am glad you finally did but hate that you had to spend all that money before you got there. As Ramrod knows, you can get bad new parts. You may have also gotten a bug or debris on the MAF sensor wire when it was install or your air filter box may not be sealing good and let the hot wire on the MAF get something on it. Just something to check.

Old 09-02-2005, 01:36 PM

Yep , Makes you just wanta ---------- Eat a TIRE !!!!![:@]

Old 09-02-2005, 03:16 PM

Think he used a spare MAF. May have been setting around collecting dust. You think that may damage it? [sm=pcwhack.gif]

Old 09-02-2005, 07:20 PM

An the WHEEL goes Round ,, It seems you are hitting all around the problem , My niece has a 2002 CV, an if you take the hose off to the throttle body , OR un- plug the MAF , her car wont start , She called me one day cause her car kept stalling out, at red lite , had a low idle sometimes / sometimes not, AND now get this -- there was a intermitt BUZZ sound going on rite at the air filter box ( like a preturb bee in there ), I pulled off the MAF , gave it a couple shots of electric contact cleaner , Reinstalled , An shes never had another problem with it an thats been a little over 1 1/2 by now . Darnest thing I had ever ran into , As for the Buzzing ?????

[sm=dontgetit.gif]

Quick Reply: Detonation problem 97 T-Bird with 4.6 V-8