General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

2.0 DOHC Cam Install

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2011, 09:10 AM
Thumbs down 2.0 DOHC Cam Install

I just did the head gasket on a 02 mazda tribute with the ford 2.0l DOHC motor. I actually pulled the head off with out marking the position of the cams and the belt because most of the time there are some kind of markings on the camshaft sprockets to get it back in time. However as many of you may know there are no marks of any kind on the sprockets, and even less information on the internet about how to line this motor back up. On the inside of the sprockets there is an "E" stamped into one of the spokes of the sprockets, and it is on both of them. I lined up the motor at tdc (at least as far as I know) but I can not figure out how to line up the cams. If I line up the position sensor with the lobe on the camshaft the "E" on that cam shaft is at the 12 o clock position, but I dont want to assume this is correct for the other cam. I dont need the car to run perfectly just enough to drive it to a shop to get them to use "the tool" on it.

Thank you in advance for helping me, or for at least reading my problem to see if you can help. I know some one out there has to have figured a way around fords arrogance here. Why would they make an engine with no timing marks....... I mean who had this stroke of ignorance in fords R&D Department? They musta been stoned that day in job corps when they were learning about making the engine serviceable.....I have done tons of heads and head gaskets, never once have I found such nonsense... I mean even if I worked at ford, and had the tool to line everything up. This is just ford going out of thier way to make things difficult even on their own mechanics.