General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

2001 Ford Ranger Transmission HELP !

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2006, 02:08 AM
Default 2001 Ford Ranger Transmission HELP !

Hi,

I'm a new member of this board, I'm David from Central Arkansas.
I own a 2001 Ford Ranger XLT, 2.5lt, 4 Cyl, 4x2
4-SPEED Automatic Transmission.

The problem I have is when I start my truck and begin to drive the shifting from First to Second is delayed by several hundred RPM's then it shifts kinda hard. I have had to let off of the gas so make it no so ruff of a shift.
Then when driving in the city my Over Drive O/D light starts to flash and I loose alot of momentum at a traffic light trying to gain speed, as if the over drive was offand if i was hauling / towing a heavy load, at this time there will still be the shifting problem.

Ford Dealership wants 100 bucks to run any "codes" and I have changed the fluid in the pan but NOT tourk converter.

Truck only has 128k miles and this problem just started a few months ago...

Problem started before fluid change after shifts better after but still ruff and rpms are still high at shifint point.

Fluid is Mercon V
Engine 4 Cylinders 153 C 2.5L MFI

I took the ranger by auto zone and its code reader said PASS both while the Over Drive Light was flashing with the truck running and while the truck was off...it said Pass

So I called my brother in law whom has a 2004 ford mustang mach 1 and has droped around 15k worth of stuff into it. He has a code reader that is worth a few hundred dollars and here is what it said...

Code: Exaust Gas Return
No check engine light on so its good that we caught that earily but nothing in the current codes (OD light was flashing again when he ran it) and he checked the history and Nothing for the transmission just the EGR Valve.

His therory is the Tourke Converter Lock Up (or Lock Out) syniloid (pardon my bad spelling)

So now I'm at a loss ...would the ford dealership scanner be able to pick it up ?

ADVISE , Suggestions, Plan of actions ??? Someone help !

Old 10-16-2006, 04:31 AM
Default RE: 2001 Ford Ranger Transmission HELP !

the EGR problem would make it feel like you are towing because it will bog down your motor if on while sitting at idle, or accel, and your hard shift sounds like a 1-2 shift accumulator either the spring is weak, broke, or the actual accumulator is allowing oil to get by and that would cause a harsh shift.

Old 11-15-2006, 02:40 PM

Check the shift position switch on the side of the transmission. Some times they can make the trans shift hard.

Old 11-16-2006, 09:34 PM

you may also have a broken, or leaking 1-2 shift accumulator, that would cause the harsh shifts