General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

2001 Windstar Left Turn signal Staying on

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2009, 07:35 PM
Default 2001 Windstar Left Turn signal Staying on

My left turn signal won't turn off. When i turn the right one on I then have to hit the 4way switch to turn off the right signal.
Where would i find the relay for the signals?

Any other thoughts?

Thanks Guys.
I've been a member in poor standing since 2004 - had a 98 F150 and got lots of good advice. Love the site and the knowledge.
Geoff

Last edited by Geoff Dow; 03-04-2009 at 09:08 PM.
Old 03-04-2009, 09:07 PM
Default Helped myself but welcome Feedback!! to ensure fixed.

Well,
After posting I continued to search and found a similar problem https://www.fordforum.com/forum/show...=signal+relays
So I decided to switch relays 3 and 4 which worked. Only problem was that in my owners manual it shows relay as not being used but when i disconnected it my interior lightrs went out - not sure if anything else did or not as key was out vehicle turned off only know lights did b/c door was open. Any thoughts? Should i leave as is or replace the relay #3 and then switch back so relay is in #4 spot. Are all 6 relays the same?

Thanks Guys.
I've been a member in poor standing since 2004 - had a 98 F150 and got lots of good advice. Love the site and the knowledge.

Geoff

Old 03-04-2009, 11:15 PM
Super Moderator

Welcomme back Geoff..

The 'switched system' relays control more than one function/circuit, and are contolled by the FEM/REM modules (front/rear modules) .. The relays are actually number positioned different than what your manual shows.. The SS3 relay is on the lower left position of the central junction box (your manual/#4 position) and the SS4 would be on the top/left position (manual position/#1) .. Since you pulled the #3 it would have canceled the interior lamps, but a few others as well on the van.. If swapping the #3 took care of the lamp functions your probably ok to leave them where they are.. But the idea behind the swap is to see if the problem follows the move to prove out the relay, but now only to the lamp on the opposite side.. Wondering if the multifunction may be an issue here..

Old 03-07-2009, 06:34 AM

Hayapower,

Thanks for the reply. If I understand what you are saying the relay positions as shown in my manual are incorrect. I switched manual positions Top Right and Bottom Left. I should have switched manual positions Bottom Left with Top left. Correct? Switching positions of relays should not correct the problem just move it from left signals to right signals?

I am not planing on leaving it that way, just wanted to find out if I could fix the problem with a different relay and if so would then buy a new relay and replace the m in original positions. I did lose my interior lights however have not yet noticed anything else.

Thanks, again for the help