General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

65 thunderbird

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2012, 10:29 PM
Smile 65 thunderbird

My tbird will not start I have changed the starter,solenoid and ignition switch and still nothing . When I turn the key no sound also when key is in the start position nothing come on or work no lights,radio or windows. Can anybody help me????????

Old 08-24-2012, 03:53 AM

This goes back some, but maybe can offer a possible useful suggestion. There may be a fusible link in the wiring from the hot terminal at the starter solenoid that supplies battery power to the interior of the vehicle. If the link is open , nothing will work since there is no power to the interior of the vehicle. The least expensive and simplest tool to confirm the integrity of the wiring is a common test lite. If you give a small tug on the wiring at the solenoid the wire will feel like a rubber band if the link is open. If it is solid it is usually intact. Since you were able to change the parts mentioned and placed the wires in the correct place confirming the wiring condition is a piece of cake. Last question is do the headlights come on if you turn them on?
If not, Have you tried to jump the vehicle with another battery?

Old 08-24-2012, 03:59 AM

Originally Posted by Mainmcg
My tbird will not start I have changed the starter,solenoid and ignition switch and still nothing . When I turn the key no sound also when key is in the start position nothing come on or work no lights,radio or windows. Can anybody help me????????

Here is a link I found to a wiring diagram of a '65 T-Bird.

http://www.tocmp.com/tOCMP/wiring/57...re5765-237.jpg

Note: hover over the diagram with your cusor and left click to expand the view.

First of all make sure the battery is fully charged at 12.6 volts or better.

Next make sure all battery connections, (+ and -) are clean and tight. That the negative ground cable is secure to the engine, and none of the cables have any "green crude" corrosion.

Next with the car in Park or neutral jump the relay, (solenoid). That's from the battery side to the starter side of the relay. Use a pair of jumper cables to do this. Connect with red jumper cable from battery side of the relay, and touch the starter side of the relay with the other red end of the jumper cable. Some ppl. use a long screw driver or wrench. I find jumper cables work better. Less arc.

(Btw, you don't need the key to make the starter work when jumping it. In fact if you run a jumper wire (14-16 gauge) from battery positive to the positive side of the coil the engine will run with a mechanical fuel pump.)

I suspect the engine will crank if the battery, and it's connections are all good.

If the starter does in fact crank the engine, probe the other wires coming from the relay, (solenoid) for current. As you see in the diagram there are five wires comming out of it. These wires feed to other electrical systems. Trace them back to the bulkhead connector on the firewall. Then to the other side under the dash, and continue to probe for current until you reach a place where there is no current, but there should be. I would make these checks with the key in the "On" position.

When troubleshooting electrical problems a multimeter, and test light are your best choice in making a diagnosis. It's a matter of divide and conquer. Start at the battery, and work your way toward loads. You no doubt have a main wire feed that is open/shorted. I suspect it is going to the ignition switch. Shouldn't be too hard to find. May be something simple like a fuseable link, corroded connection, broken/melted/worn wire(s).

Please let me know what you find, and if you have any more questions please ask.

Last edited by thexlo8ers; 08-24-2012 at 04:24 AM.