General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Car maintenance at 80k miles

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2009, 09:47 PM
Default Car maintenance at 80k miles

I'm a newbie, all I know is basic stuff like to change engine oil every 3000 miles, so I need some detailed advice if you can help me please.

I just bought a used Ford Crown Vic P71, it has 80000 miles on it, and I don't know if the dealer has given it maintenance before selling it to me, so how do I find out what part needs to be replaced? What about spark plugs? How often do I change that? What about transmission, brake, steering fluid, and what other things that needs to kept maintenance that I don't know about, can you list them all?

Thanks for the help.

Old 02-02-2009, 11:22 PM

If I had a little more time I could probably get you more information, but I think if you have a standard gas engine, then you can look at your motor oil color and get a rough Idea if any maintenance was done there. if it is brown and semi clear in color you are probably ok with the Oil change, if it is black.....change it. Take a look at your Air Filter is it clean or grey/black and funky looking...again you can really look at it and see obvious need for replacement. Fuel Filter would be a good thing to change if it does not require a 4 year college degree to get to it. As far as the components involved with fire....Plugs, wires, cap/rotor (if it has the cap/rotor) the engine runnning smoothly is an indicator that you are not in urgent need of PM there.

Because of the relatively low expense in the Oil and Air, I would just go ahead and get that done, so you will have a good point of reference for future service. Assume that the Transmission has never been serviced, but again fluid color can be a sign of needs. In the old days, nice clear red autotrans fluid would be good, brown or otherwise discolored fluid might be an indicator of a need of change.

I have changed my own transmission fluid and filter before, and it can be a messy job, but not expensive.

If cost is not an issue, give it a real go around and treat it to the works. it will love you for it. If you are pinching pennies (Like I was) then stick to the basic items like Oil, Air, Fuel, and then go deeper as needed.

I think there is more, but maybe my forum buddies can add more to this.

Good Luck.