General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Checking Sync 3 software & map versions

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2020, 08:57 AM
Default Checking Sync 3 software & map versions

We have a 2018 Ford Escape with Sync 3, and I updated the software via a USB drive about a month ago. The update addressed an issue we were having with Waze not getting the correct vehicle speed from the Ford API. A few days ago I received a notification that there is an update available for the navigation maps in Sync 3. I went to the https://syncnavigation.com/ website and I only get an option to order a USB drive for $40 plus shipping. I would prefer to download, but I am not against paying for the USB drive, however, there is no indication of what the version number is for the maps included on the USB drive. For all I know the USB download I did last month may already have the most current maps, but Ford support hasn't been much help. They just point me to the website.

I check my vehicle and is shows Sync 3 is at software version 3.0, build 19205. The navigation maps show version NA 1 17. I am guessing that perhaps that map data is showing as North America January 2017 but that's just a guess. And since the https://syncnavigation.com/ website doesn't tell what version they are shipping I am wary of ordering the USB, especially since I can use Waze, Google Maps, or other cell phone app navigation systems as needed. It is nice, however, to have the built-in maps current just in case I don't have the phone connected or if someone else is borrowing our car and wants to use the navigation.

So does anyone know how to check the versions on the vehicle against what Ford is offering via download and USB? The download for Sync that Ford has available is a file named JR3T-14G381-AS.zip but I don't see anything in that file name that relates to the version numbers showing on the Sync screen.

Thanks!