General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Double towing

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2007, 09:57 AM
Default Double towing

I'm going to be towing my travel trailer and a small utility trailer at the same time. It's legal in Texas as long as I am within the 65ft. limit. My tow vehicle is a 2002 Excursion 7.3l PowerStroke with the factory tow package. My question is...What is the best way to wire lights to the 2nd trailer?
I have the standard 7-pin plug on the TT, and my idea was to pull new wire under the TT for the Utility trailer and use the 4-pin flat plug at the same time. (TT plugged into 7-pin and UT plugged into the 4-pin.)
Has this ever been done? If not what was your solution?

Old 10-29-2007, 01:08 PM
Default RE: Double towing

I bought my TT with the hitch and connector already on. I never thought about how they were ran. I would think that since you don't need brakes that you could splice directly into the rear brake/signal light on the TT.
If no one gets back to you on this in the next few days, I'llgo by the storage and see how they wired mine in.
I was out there yesterday[:@]

Old 11-03-2007, 05:59 PM

I checked it out today.
There is a junction box just inside the trailer frame in the front where the wiring goes throught the frame. This is where they spliced into the wiring. From there they ran all the wires back to the hitch. On mine they ran wiring for lights and brakes with a 7 prong rv connector.

Old 11-05-2007, 10:21 AM

Great info, thanks. I'll look for that in my next trailer if I don't buy a toy hauler. I ended up running new wire and useing the 4-pin and 7-pin plugs at the same time with no problem. I just returned from the shake down cruise and everything worked just like it's supposed to. I couldn't even tell the little trailer was back there if I hadn't put on the little outriggers with tennis ***** I might have forgotten it was.
Thanks again for your input.

"Experience is a hard teacher; first you take the test, then you learn the lesson. Education is what you get when you read the instructions.
Experience is what you get when you don't."
Carpe Diem!