General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

E350 Superduty 2002 Starting Problem/Fuel Pump? OR ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2013, 03:15 PM
Default E350 Superduty 2002 Starting Problem/Fuel Pump? OR ?

Hi,

I have an intermittent problem with starting my van. Like some advice if anyone has some ideas.

Edit: This does not happen everyday. All may be fine for several days then it begins again, now and then. More now than then recently...

2nd edit: Forgot to mention...it is a 5.4 liter gas engine...

Snow on the ground here and below freezing. I do not have an indoor place to do anything in the way of checks right now. I was hoping I would get through the winter and could do more checking in warmer weather but not sure now...

There may be some clues here or some previous history of similar problems with this vehicle that I am not aware of , I have tried searching and will do more after posting this.

Problem started about three months ago or so. Engine cranks fast but does not start. Initially I was not aware that I could hear the fuel pump, but after learning that I could I paid more attention to it. It seems that when I turn the key on the fuel pump does not always make a sound. Until I hear the fuel pump the vehicle will not start. Normally it starts so fast that I was never aware that the fuel pump could be heard (Half second or less?)

I have changed the fuel pump relay but the problem persists.

This morning it took 10 minutes and MANY turns of the key before I heard the fuel pump and the van started.

I had something to do and needed the van so I took it and did not turn it off for fear it would not start again. It ran fine, sat at idle for five minutes at the first stop, sat at idle for 15 minutes at the second stop, sat at idle for ten minutes at the third stop, and would not start after I got home and shut it off. Total run time was a little over an hour.

The interesting thing is that after the engine starts, the van runs normally at any speed from idle to highway speeds without a hint of a problem. Smooth as when it was driven off the lot 10 years ago.

152,000 miles on it.

I do not have an electrical diagram and have not taken any electrical measurements so I don't know if the pump is getting voltage when it is not running.

My guess is that the pump could be bad OR that the circuit supplying the voltage to the pump could have an issue. Just wondering if the fact that the van can run for hours at a time without a hint of a problem, after it starts, might point at something that is common with these vans that I am not aware of...

A local repair guy pointed at a ford van in his lot and said "that van has the same problem. I have been trying it all week and it starts every time. Drive yours until it fails and have it towed here. Every guess is expensive with these vans..."

What do you guys think?

Greatly appreciate any and all ideas and experience...

Bill

Last edited by henro; 01-26-2013 at 03:39 PM.
Old 01-26-2013, 05:12 PM

This is something you can try.
Invest in a test lite.
Then connect the clip to a good ground and run a piece of insulated wire from the terminal of that fuel pump relay that gets power when the pump is working to where you can see the test lite is getting power. What you are trying to do is get a visual picture of when the pump relay is sending power to the pump. What you are looking for is whether the pump is getting power when it is supposed to. Don't forget you may only see the lite on when the key is first turned on and then only after the engine is cranking or running. Let us know what you find.