General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Engine Squeaking

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2007, 08:57 AM
Default Engine Squeaking

I have a 2000 Ford Explorer XLS with a standard V6. A month ago I started to hear a squealing that I initially thought was the belt. It had not been changed in awhile so I purchased a new bely myself and swapped out the old for the new. The squealing has continued. It is not loud however it is quite audible. I have located the sound to be coming from the top part of the engine and not any of the pulleys. What could this possibly be, and can it be fixed?

Old 07-12-2007, 07:26 AM
Default RE: Engine Squeaking

I was going to say the idler pulley but you say the top of the engine...can you give more details. how loud is it and where at the top of the engine. does it sound like a belt squeak or different.

Old 07-12-2007, 07:54 AM

It sounds like a belt squeak however standing over the engine I can trace the sound to coming from about where the carburator is at. It is not a loud obnoxious noise like a belt is when it needs replaced however is is audible enough to fainlty hear inside the vehicle and especially in the immediate area outside the vehicle. It is rhythmic (if that makes any sense) and does speed up and slow down with the engine. It is not however consistent. Sometimes it does it sometimes it does not squeal. I have never heard this come from a vehicle and act like this. Could it possibly be an exhaust or hose leak of some sort?

Old 07-12-2007, 09:35 AM
Super Moderator

What engine?

Or, whats the 8th digit of the VIN.....

Old 07-12-2007, 09:51 AM

X

Old 07-12-2007, 11:38 AM
Super Moderator

Does it have a 'chirp' along with the squeal at any time?

The 4.0 pushrod engine (VIN X) has a cam synchronizer that looks like a short distributor with a cam position sensor mounted on top.. The 4.0 SOHC engine doesn't..The shaft and/or metal housing of the bodyof the synchronizer can run dry and will cause a squeal and sometimes a high pitch chirp.. Can be intermittent or temp related generally worse on warming, and will/may change pitch as well as increase speed with the engines RPM's.. If you can put a long rod/screw driver against the sychronizer 'body' and run the engine the noise will be transfered through the rod and will be very pronounced if it's the synchronizer..

Here's a pic of what it looks like.....

[IMG]local://upfiles/6756/6123670BC6CF43F68200CC280AF24046.gif[/IMG]

Old 07-12-2007, 12:33 PM

Yes it does actually! I went out to my vehicle on lunch and I believe I have identified the part you have attached. hould this be the issue what can I do to stop it. Comepletely replace the part or is there anothe rmethod to fix this issue?

I see you have a 69 Trans-Am. I have an 85 that I am restoring.

Old 07-12-2007, 12:56 PM
Super Moderator

The 'best' fix is a replacement synchronizer.. But prior to any work, you should make sure the noise is coming from the unit.. You 'could' remove the old unit and break it down and re lube the parts, but sometimes the shaft/bore are scored from the lack of lube, and not worth a repeat repair... The unit cost/list is about 180.00, should be able to get one for about 140-145.00 or so.. It does require some special care to install.. There's an alighnment tool, but can be done without...

Old 07-12-2007, 12:57 PM
Super Moderator

BTW...

Post a pic of the bird!!!

Old 07-13-2007, 07:05 AM

Well, bad news. That was not it. The sound its actually coming from a little further towards the back of the motor. It is coming from an area in which I can not see. Maybe an exhaust leak???? It remains at a constant tone and only gets a little more audible when I accelerate. When I am idling it is not as audible.I am out of options with all I know. I have reviewed my manual (which was not helpful) as well as my Haynes Repair book on this model it covers nothing regarding the cam or the air intake to any detail. Here is another thing, when I am going downhill it stops completely. I may end up having to do what I hate most and that is taking it to a mechanic and paying them $70.00 an hour to look at it. Let me know if you have any more suggestions.

I will post a pic of the bird (which does not look to good at the moment. I have 3 kids and a wife so you can imagine not much gets done to it when it does.)

Thanks,